Sullivan to travel to Asia to strengthen U.Va. relationships

Deans to accompany president to multiple cities, countries

University President Teresa Sullivan will travel to Asia from May 24 to June 2 to strengthen educational and research relationships between the University and its regional partners.

The trip this spring will be Sullivan’s second official trip to the region. Her previous visit in 2012, and subsequent visit by then-Executive Vice President and Provost John Simon and Vice Provost for Global Affairs Jeffrey W. Legro, created a foundation for the University’s involvement in Asia, University Deputy Spokesperson Matthew Charles said in an email statement.

The University officially opened its first China office in Shanghai last March.

“Our engagement in Asia provides important opportunities for our students, faculty and alumni, as well as our academic partners,” Sullivan said in an email statement. “I’m looking forward to returning to the region, building new relationships and strengthening existing partnerships.”

Many University deans will participate in parts of Sullivan’s five-city trip, traveling to Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing and Tokyo.

“The deans will participate in panel discussions with academic partners and in engagement events with U.Va. Clubs in each of the cities the President visits,” Charles said.

U.Va. Clubs are regional networks made up of alumni, parents and friends in local communities that participate in admission and new student outreach, as well holding cultural and educational programming and networking events. The clubs are lead by volunteers and supported by Regional Engagement Officers.

Robert Pianta, dean of the Curry School of Education, will be traveling to Singapore with Sullivan and will connect with alumni during his time abroad.

“Our alumni always like the opportunity to meet with University leaders and hear about new initiatives and plans for the future,” Pianta said in an email statement. “It’s particularly important that we create these opportunities for our alumni that live far away.”

Carl Zeithaml, dean of the Commerce School, emphasized the importance of expanding globally.

“The world is an increasingly smaller place, and we believe that building relationships in Asia is integral to the future of any world class university,” Zeithaml said. “And certainly U.Va. aspires to be a world class university.”

In addition to visiting Hong Kong, Singapore and Shanghai with Sullivan, Zeithaml will also be traveling to Guangzhou, China, to continue developing a joint MS degree program with Sun Yat-sen University in Guangzhou and ESADE School of Business in Barcelona, Spain.

“That’s an example of the kind of collaborative programs that we try to develop with partner schools around the world,” Zeithaml said. “A program like this is the result of the many trips that I’ve taken into China for the past 19 years.”

Correction: A previous version of this article incorrectly referred to University Deputy Spokesperson Matthew Charles as Matthew Herndon. Herndon is his middle name.