U.Va. appoints Ila Berman new Architecture dean

Berman to succeed current dean Elizabeth K. Meyer

<p>Berman said an attractive feature of the position is the number of different disciplines the Architecture School has to offer.</p>

Berman said an attractive feature of the position is the number of different disciplines the Architecture School has to offer.

The University appointed Ila Berman as the new dean of the School of Architecture Wednesday, according to a press release sent by Executive Vice President and Provost Thomas C. Katsouleas.

Berman will begin August 15 and succeed current Dean Elizabeth K. Meyer.

“The search committee and I were universally wowed by Ila’s powerful and compelling vision for the future of architecture education,” Katsouleas said in the press release. “Coupled with her legacy of innovations in design education, this vision will help her make connections with other schools across Grounds and with leading partners across the nation and globe.”

Berman is currently the O’Donovan director of the School of Architecture at the University of Waterloo and a tenured professor in the school. In the past, Berman has also served as the associate dean of Tulane University School of Architecture and as the director of architecture at California College of the Arts.

While at Tulane, Berman founded and directed the URBANBuild program in an effort to support rebuilding in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Her other professional accomplishments include doubling graduate school admissions at Waterloo over the last two years after participating in curriculum reform.

Berman said critical focuses on urbanism, landscape architecture and architectural history were among her largest attractors to the University.

Berman earned her undergraduate degree in architecture in 1983 from Carleton University and her master of design studies degree in architecture in 1991 from Harvard University’s Graduate School of Design. She also received a doctor of design degree in architectural history, theory and criticism from Harvard in 1993.

Robin Dripps, T. David Fitz-Gibbon professor of Architecture and search committee member, said the committee selected Berman from an initial list of over 200 candidates.

“She comes at a really high level,” Dripps said. “She’s been transforming places and yet doing it in a way that’s moving us forward … she’s going to be a transformational leader.”

Dripps has participated in three separate searches for deans of the School of Architecture. She said thoughtful decisions made by Katsouleas and the current dean enabled an extremely high level of professionalism through the search process.

“The members of the committee were really stellar in terms of keeping this at a high intellectual debate,” Dripps said.

Katsouleas and University President Teresa Sullivan thanked both the search committee, chaired by Tim Beatley, as well as the current dean of the School of Architecture for their work.

“Beth Meyer has been a truly remarkable leader of the School of Architecture, and we are grateful for her work in advancing one of the nation’s best programs, Sullivan said. “Ila Berman’s wealth of experience and vision will strengthen the School in ways that will distinguish the University as it enters its third century.”

When asked what she wants her reputation to look like in five years, Berman said she wants the University Architecture School to be the “school that everyone is talking about.” She plans on focusing on new technologies, sustainability, globalization and urbanization in order to increase the School’s larger global impact.

Berman said she looks forward to joining a community inspired by its own work and is excited to bring her passion for architecture to the University.