Garrett’s plan turns student loan problems into retirement problems

The fifth district congressional candidate’s proposal will hurt students in the long run

With Nov. 8 elections just five days away, Charlottesville voters should consider where the fifth district congressional representative hopefuls stand on student debt. Democratic candidate Jane Dittmar and Republican candidate Tom Garrett have both expressed a commitment to addressing the issue, but with significantly different approaches. While Garrett’s proposal relies on taking Social Security benefits away from debt-ridden students, Dittmar’s plan has the potential to foster civic engagement while easing the burden of student debt.

Dittmar has suggested a plan to reduce student debt analogous to the GI Bill for veterans. “If you’re willing to serve your country and then go to college without debt, [and] if you’re willing to go into debt and then serve in particular areas after to have it taken away — I think that’s the way our country needs to go,” she told The Cavalier Daily. This type of proposal would encourage students to enter disciplines that will set allow them to provide a valuable contribution to society, while in Dittmar’s words, helping to “rebuild” the country’s civic and social infrastructure.

On the other hand, Garrett’s proposal involves forgiving between $5,000 and $7,000 in student debt for each year a student delays Social Security disbursement. This plan could effectively delay the issues students currently face to when they are older and are struggling to retire. More than 30 percent of University students have student loans for an average loan size around $24,000. Garrett’s plan would force the average University student to forgo four to five years of retirement benefits in order to reduce their student loan obligations. Garrett’s plan could be even more financially burdensome for Virginia’s many community college and vocational school students, who might not have all of the same job opportunities University students have.

While it’s good that both candidates hope to combat student debt, it’s important to do it the right way. Dittmar’s proposal is more realistic than Garrett’s and has the benefit of truly reducing students’ financial obligations rather postponing them to create problems in retirement.