“Merry Christmas Lil’ Mama” offers New Year, Christmas cheer

Chance the Rapper, Jeremih release impressive collaborative mixtape

<p>“Merry Christmas Lil’ Mama” consists of nine tracks that fuse classic R&B Christmas songs with a modern hip hop twist.</p>

“Merry Christmas Lil’ Mama” consists of nine tracks that fuse classic R&B Christmas songs with a modern hip hop twist.

Artists Chance the Rapper and Jeremih surprised the world with a collaborative Christmas mixtape Dec. 22. “Merry Christmas Lil’ Mama” consists of nine tracks that fuse classic R&B Christmas songs with a modern hip hop twist. Despite being considered a mixtape, in typical Chance fashion, the mixtape’s level of quality is equivalent to any other album released this year. “Merry Christmas Lil’ Mama” has appearances from artists such as Noname, Lud Foe and King Louie, as well as a bit of dialogue from comedian Hannibal Buress.

“Merry Christmas Lil’ Mama” opens with “All the Way,” and Chance and Jeremih offer what lyrically feels like a Christmas anthem for the club with lyrics such as “(Kringle bells all the way) all the way! / (On your heels you'll make that shake) I make it shake! / (Got 'bout three hoes on my sleigh) Up on my sleigh! / (I tried to tee up on this day) On Christmas day!” The utilization of “three hoes” in relation to Santa’s “Ho Ho Ho” is relatively clever but certainly nothing to write home about.

However, the production of “All the Way” and the rest of the album is generally enjoyable, but doesn’t seem to be nearly as complex as some of the artists’ past work. Each track pairs well with the Christmas theme of the mixtape and after “All the Way,” the album moves away from a purely physical realm into a more emotional and intimate feel with “Stranger at the Table.”

“Stranger at the Table” offers a sharp sonic contrast to “All the Way” with Jeremih's altered rendition of The Jackson 5’s “I Want You Back” on the hook, which pairs extremely well with Chance’s rap verses. The sound continues to change with “Joy,” a slower paced and lyrically rich song which discusses the tendency to forget about the origins of Christmas and the significance of love and family. This theme is illustrated in the hook — “Christmas, this Christmas, is a time for joy / (There's a time for joy, there's a time for joy) / When Jesus, was a little boy / (He was a little boy, was a little boy) / They tend to forget about love (forget about love).”

The motif continues with the song “I’m Your Santa” while also imparting some fun with Chance’s sections which teach listeners how to “Step” into the famous Chicago dance style.

The tape, however, takes a dark turn with “The Tragedy,” in which Chance and Noname tell the story of a homeless man who eventually succumbs to a harsh winter. The song is a sad reminder that Christmas is not a joyous time for everyone.

The mixtape finishes off on a happier note with the two final tracks — “Chi Town Christmas” and “Merry Christmas Lil’ Mama.” “Chi Town Christmas” is arguably the most festive-sounding track on the album because its melody and rhythm are based on the traditional Christmas song “Carol of the Bells.” “Merry Christmas Lil’ Mama” is the simplest of the songs on the tape. A majority of the track is just saying “Merry Christmas, lil’ mama.” However much like the first track of the tape, its sound is catchy enough for the lyrics to be looked over.

While the mixtape is diverse in its subject matter, it still maintains cohesion through its Christmas themes and representations of different Christmas experiences. Overall, “Merry Christmas Lil’ Mama” is an excellent way to celebrate Christmas and close out the year.