Virginia picks up three wins in ECU Pirate Invitational

<p>Senior McKall Miller scores Virginia's lone run in 10-1 loss to ECU.&nbsp;</p>

Senior McKall Miller scores Virginia's lone run in 10-1 loss to ECU. 

In the last weekend before kicking off the regular season, Virginia Softball finished the ECU Pirate Invitational with three wins and two losses.

The Cavaliers (8-8) opened the Invitational with a convincing 8-1 win over Seton Hall, then 3-1 for their season.

The game started with each team getting an early run on the scoreboard in the first inning, but good pitching from both teams then slowed down the offensive momentum of the game.

Sophomore Lexi Mettler came to the mound in the bottom of the second inning, and didn’t allow Seton Hall (6-2) a run for the rest of the game. Mettler’s pitching and Virginia’s defense helped the Cavaliers stay mistake-free for the second time this season.

In the sixth inning, senior Katie Park notched her second triple of the season to get the Cavaliers back on the scoreboard. Shortly after Park’s RBI, junior Danni Ingraham homered for the second time this season, bringing Virginia’s lead to 4-1.

Later in the seventh inning, the Cavaliers picked up four more runs due to poor defense from Seton Hall. Virginia finished the game with 11 hits, marking the third game in a row with 11 or more Cavalier hits.

Later in the day, Virginia faced ECU and fell to the tournament host in a 10-1 game. Virginia’s only run came in the fourth inning from senior McKall Miller scoring off of an RBI double from senior Iyana Hughes.

In the second day of the tournament the same lineup awaited the Cavaliers, but the results were reversed as Virginia lost to Seton Hall and beat ECU (8-6).

The day started with a 4-2 win loss for the Cavaliers against Seton Hall. The third inning — featuring three runs for the Pirates — proved to be the difference in the game.

Things turned around for the Cavaliers later in the day, as they went on to beat ECU, 7-3. Virginia led the entire game with RBIs from Ingraham, junior Allison Davis, sophomore Erika Osherow, sophomore Kaitlin Fitzgerald and senior Madison Labshere.

The Cavaliers ended the tournament on a high note, picking up an 8-1 win over Coppin State Sunday.

Virginia now heads back to Charlottesville to gear up for hosting a Commonwealth Clash matchup against Virginia Tech Friday.