Women’s tennis coach Mark Guilbeau resigns

<p>After 12 seasons at Virginia, coach Mark&nbsp;Guilbeau announced that he would be resigning.&nbsp;</p>

After 12 seasons at Virginia, coach Mark Guilbeau announced that he would be resigning. 

Virginia Athletics Director Craig Littlepage announced Friday morning that women’s tennis coach Mark Guilbeau had resigned. The resignation marks the end of Guilbeau’s 12-year stint in Charlottesville.

While at Virginia, Guilbeau put together a 201-117 record, won ACC Championships in 2014 and 2015, reached the NCAA Tournament 10 times and was twice named ITA Atlantic Region Coach of the Year. Under his direction, former Virginia tennis star Danielle Collins won the NCAA singles championship in 2014 and 2016 and earned ITA All-America honors three times.

Littlepage will head a national search for the next coach. He has not specified a timetable for finding his replacement, since many of the candidates will be coaching teams in the upcoming NCAA Championships.

Although Guilbeau’s contract still has one year left, Virginia will continue its financial obligations.