​Phi Kappa Psi settles with Rolling Stone

The fraternity reached a settlement agreement of $1.65 million from Rolling Stone's attorneys

<p>The fraternity plans to put some of the money won in the case towards sexual assault awareness education, prevention and services for victims of sexual assault.</p>

The fraternity plans to put some of the money won in the case towards sexual assault awareness education, prevention and services for victims of sexual assault.

The University chapter of Phi Kappa Psi has reached a settlement in its lawsuit against Rolling Stone, Wenner Media Inc. and Sabrina Rubin Erdely, according to fraternity spokesperson Brian Ellis. According to NBC29, the fraternity won $1.65 million. Its original lawsuit asked for $25 million.

According to Ellis’s release, the fraternity plans to put some of the money won in the case towards sexual assault awareness education, prevention and services for victims of sexual assault.

“It has been nearly three years since we and the entire University of Virginia community were shocked by the now infamous article, and we are pleased to be able to close the book on that trying ordeal and its aftermath,” Ellis said in the release.

The trial was scheduled to take place Oct. 25. A Charlottesville Circuit Court judge ruled last April that Phi Kappa Psi had to produce documents following a subpoena filed by Rolling Stone’s lawyers. Under the subpoena, the fraternity had to provide documents from its University chapter, national organization and other chapters.

The settlement also comes after former Assoc. Dean of Students Nicole Eramo reached a settlement agreement with Rolling Stone, Wenner Media Inc. and Sabrina Rubin Erdely last April.