​U.Va. Police Department arrests four for alcohol-related charges during Midsummers

The arrests were for underage possession of alcohol, being drunk in public and possession of fake identification

<p>Four people were arrested for&nbsp;alcohol-related charges during Midsummers weekend, according to UPD crime logs.&nbsp;</p>

Four people were arrested for alcohol-related charges during Midsummers weekend, according to UPD crime logs. 

The University Police Department arrested four people for alcohol-related charges during “Midsummers,” the weekend in between the second and third summer class sessions when hundreds of students on summer vacation return to the University for a series of parties and reunions.

“There is not a drastic change in the number of arrests [from previous years],” Melissa Fielding, University Police Department Law Enforcement Captain, said in an email statement.

Last year’s Midsummers saw five arrests, an increase from two arrests in 2015. In 2014, there were eight arrests, and in 2013, there were two.

Two were arrested Sunday, July 9, on Lee St. for charges of drunk in public and underage possession of alcohol. One of those arrested that morning was also charged with assault on a law enforcement officer.

That same morning, an additional person was arrested for being drunk in public on Culbreth Rd. Later that afternoon, one person was arrested for possession of a fake ID on 14th St.

“The safety and well being of students is our top priority,” Fielding said. “Students should always seek medical assistance for themselves or friends if there is a concern about potential alcohol poisoning.”

The Charlottesville Police Department was not able to provide the number of Midsummers arrests as of press time.