Women’s basketball wins sixth straight over NC State

<p>Senior guard J’Kyra Brown came off the bench for the Cavaliers to score a team-high 18 points with four three-point field goals.&nbsp;</p>

Senior guard J’Kyra Brown came off the bench for the Cavaliers to score a team-high 18 points with four three-point field goals. 

Virginia women’s basketball traveled to Raleigh, N.C.to take on NC State in a key in-conference battle. The Cavaliers (10-6, 3-0 ACC) picked up a decisive 73-63 victory to improve to 3-0 in ACC play.

Holding a lead for all 40 minutes of the contest, Virginia exploded out of the gates and never looked back. Senior guard J’Kyra Brown came off the bench for the Cavaliers to score a team-high 18 points with four three-point field goals. 

The first quarter started extremely well for the Cavaliers after getting out to a quick 19-5 lead on the back of an 12-0 run. At the half, the Cavaliers maintained a strong 40-33 advantage thanks to the help of senior forward Lauren Moses, who added eight points.

NC State tried to chip into the lead in the third quarter, but Virginia sophomore guard Dominique Toussaint hit timely baskets to keep a distance between the two teams. Virginia struggled for a bit in the final period, giving the Wolfpack a chance to get back into the game.

Despite not scoring a field goal in the final seven minutes of the game, the Cavaliers hit 10 of 12 free throws to ensure the 73-63 victory. The win marks Virginia’s sixth straight after struggling in non-conference play to open the season.

The Cavaliers return to John Paul Jones Arena to take on ACC opponent Clemson at 2 p.m. Sunday.