Second Year Council president endorsement

The Cavalier Daily Editorial Board endorses Anna Yee for the position

<p>Yee demonstrated a developed understanding of the role of president of Second Year Council.&nbsp;</p>

Yee demonstrated a developed understanding of the role of president of Second Year Council. 

The Cavalier Daily Editorial Board has endorsed a total of 24 candidates for this spring’s student elections. Comprised of the executive editor, editor-in-chief and three members-at-large, the Editorial Board offers commentary on local and national issues as they relate to the University community. In line with its mission, the board conducted endorsement interviews for candidates seeking election to Student Council, the Honor Committee and the University Judiciary Committee. To qualify for an endorsement, candidates were required to be running in a contested election. In addition, candidates were required to commit to a campaign spending cap as part of a campaign finance petition signed by the Editorial Board and several other student organizations. 

The board will be withholding its endorsement for Student Council President and Vice President for Administration until after the Cavalier Daily’s Student Council presidential candidates forum on Monday, Feb. 19.

In a contested race of five candidates, The Cavalier Daily Editorial Board is endorsing Anna Yee for Second Year Council president out of the four candidates who sought the board’s endorsement. Yee currently serves as the president of the Kellogg Association Council. Her platform rests on facilitating meaningful relationships between Second Year Council and the greater second year class, as well as increased transparency within the council. 

Second year poses the difficult problem of bringing a class together when most students live off-Grounds. First year provides easier opportunities to convene — the entire class is confined to a relatively small geographic area compared to that of the second year class. Without guaranteed on-Grounds housing, many students choose to live in apartments in the surrounding areas, which limits the availability of programming for a concentrated group of second-year students. Yee sufficiently addressed this problem by proposing events that related to a variety of student interests, such as resume workshops, job search workshops and self-defense classes. 

Another important aspect of Yee’s platform is her commitment to involving more of the second year class in the Council’s business. Yee noted that some students know little about the Council or how to express interest in joining. She proposed a redevelopment of the Council’s website, which would include an easily accessible page for meeting minutes. In addition, Yee would host Council application workshops, where council members could help interested students craft their individual messages. 

Of the four candidates the board interviewed for the position, Yee demonstrated a developed understanding of the role of president of Second Year Council. Her experience as an association president and her concrete policy initiatives combine to make her the best candidate for the role.