U.Va. offers admission to 26.5 percent of applicants

Number of applications rises from 36,800 in 2017 to 37,222

<p>Peabody Hall is the home to the Office of Admissions</p>

Peabody Hall is the home to the Office of Admissions

The University released regular admissions decisions Thursday evening, accepting 26.5 percent of applicants, according to statistics from Dean of Admissions Gregory Roberts.

Out of 37,222 total applicants —  including early action applicants, who received decisions in January — 9,850 students were admitted. More students were accepted last year, when 9,957 of 36,807 applicants were admitted.

Of these applications, 193 offers were extended to students that applied to the School of Architecture for a 34 percent acceptance rate, and 7,434 to students that applied to the College of Arts and Sciences for a 26 percent acceptance rate. Additionally, 98 offers were extended to students that applied to the Curry School of Education for a 19 percent acceptance rate, 1,990 to students that applied to the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences for a 30 percent acceptance rate and 135 to students that applied to the School of Nursing for a 12 percent acceptance rate.

Of in-state students who applied, 4304 were accepted. Of out-of-state students who applied, 5,545 were accepted.

“The admitted class looks very similar to last year in terms of academic strength and diversity and size,” Roberts said in an email to The Cavalier Daily. 

Ninety-three percent of students offered admission were in the top 10 percent of their graduating high school class — a figure that matches that of last year’s admissions statistics. The average SAT score of this group rose from 1398 in 2017 to 1431 for this year’s applicants.

Ten percent of these applicants would be first generation college students, which Roberts said was similar to the number accepted in 2017.

The Cavalier Daily was not able to gather statistics Thursday about the socioeconomic status of the students accepted into the new class.

“We do not have economic diversity at this time,” Roberts said. “We will have this over the summer once the Financial Aid office completes packaging.”

He noted that the admissions team hopes to retain 3,725 of the 9,850 accepted students, with 67 percent of these being in-state.

“The most important thing to mention is that we are now hoping to enroll these terrific students.” Roberts said.

Admitted high school seniors can visit Grounds for Days on the Lawn during six days in March and April.

“We have Days on the Lawn open house programs throughout April to impress and encourage these high school seniors,” Roberts said. “We're very excited and we hope UVA students and faculty will support us in our efforts to convince students that UVA is a warm, friendly, supportive place to call home.”