Former U.Va. police officer charged with domestic assault

University Police Department terminates officer’s employment following arrest

<p>Justin Eugene Bryant, 28, has been charged with two felonies for malicious wounding and strangulation, as well as a misdemeanor for preventing a 911 call.</p>

Justin Eugene Bryant, 28, has been charged with two felonies for malicious wounding and strangulation, as well as a misdemeanor for preventing a 911 call.

A now-former member of the University of Virginia Police Department is facing charges in connection to a reported domestic assault that took place Jan. 26. 

Justin Eugene Bryant, 28, has been charged by the Albemarle County Police Department with two felonies for malicious wounding and strangulation, as well as a misdemeanor for preventing a 911 call. The charges were certified on March 12. 

The University became aware of the arrest Feb. 8, at which point Bryant was placed on leave. He is no longer employed by the University. 

Deputy University Spokesperson Wesley P. Hester said in an email to The Cavalier Daily that the University “has cooperated fully with the Albemarle County Police Department during its investigation.”

According to court records, the charges emerged out of a domestic incident which took place on the 2600 block of Hydraulic Road two months ago.

Bryant’s case will come before a grand jury at the Albemarle Circuit Court Monday