Red-hot Pittsburgh offense leads to softball sweep

Cavaliers fall to 3-18 in ACC after 12-1 Sunday afternoon loss

<p>Junior Olivia Gott recorded four home runs in the weekend series against Pittsburgh.&nbsp;</p>

Junior Olivia Gott recorded four home runs in the weekend series against Pittsburgh. 

Despite junior catcher Olivia Gott launching her fourth home run of the weekend to put the Virginia softball team up after the top of the first, the high-octane Panther bats proved too much for the Cavaliers. 

From early on, Pittsburgh (26-11, 14-6 ACC) seemed to always have an answer to whatever the Cavaliers (12-35, 3-18 ACC) threw at them.

Senior center fielder Allison Davis was one of two Cavaliers besides Gott to record two hits. Davis was also caught stealing by the Panther catcher, although initially looking like obstruction by the Pittsburgh second baseman.

After the controversial ruling, the Pittsburgh offense capitalized with a three-run inning and never looked back. 

Junior pitcher Tabby Dabney started in the circle for Virginia and lasted an inning before being replaced by junior Lacy Smith. Pittsburgh would once again score three runs and load the bases before Smith was then replaced by junior pitcher Erika Osherow who would stay in for the longest of the Cavalier pitching staff.

Despite a performance in which a common theme of shaky pitching combined with inconsistent offense has contributed to a number of losses on the season, the young Cavalier team is rarely rendered offensively incapable. Davis recorded her third multi hit game of the series along with Gott’s heroics and senior first baseman Danni Ingraham also provided two hits. 

After the still fresh walk off loss on Saturday evening, Virginia will look to rebound in a single game home outing against intrastate rival James Madison at the Park. The Dukes come into the contest on a tear with a record of 33-10, but the contest will surely be a hotly contested one as the Cavaliers look to prove their mettle. First pitch is set for 6 p.m. Wednesday evening.