Student Council appoints chair of rules and ethics committee, recording secretary

Third-year College students Mary Alice Kukoski and Shannon Mooney were appointed, respectively

<p>The measures to confirm the appointments of Kukoski and Mooney passed unanimously with two abstentions by proxy.</p>

The measures to confirm the appointments of Kukoski and Mooney passed unanimously with two abstentions by proxy.

Student Council confirmed the appointments of third-year College student Mary Alice Kukoski as the chair of the rules and ethics committee and third-year College student Shannon Mooney as the recording secretary during its general body meeting Tuesday. 

Student Council President Alex Cintron reappointed Kukoski, as the chair of the rules and ethics committee. 

Serving as the chair of the rules and ethics committee is a year-long position, and Kukoski was previously appointed by Sarah Kenny, the Student Council president last year. 

“Mary Alice has done a great job in terms of keeping records of things that are happening, making sure that people are following the rules, being here and also helping to co-chair the constitution and bylaws review,” Cintron said. 

Kukoski said that her position is similar to the function of the University Judiciary Committee or the Honor Committee, but specific to Student Council.  

“I’m the chair of the rules and ethics board, so basically if there’s any issues with ethics related to the constitution and bylaws, people can bring it to me and my board would then sort through it and hold a hearing, almost like a trial process,” Kukoski said. “The way I would describe it to people is the Supreme Court of Student Council, so in a sense it’s like Honor or UJC.” 

Shannon Mooney, a third-year College student, was also appointed by Cintron to serve as the recording secretary. Engineering School graduate Lauren Nalley was formerly the recording secretary for three years and also served as the school’s representative last year. The position was left vacant after her graduation this past spring. 

Mooney said that the office of recording secretary used to fall under the administration of third-year College student Ellie Brasacchio, the chair of the Representative Body, but added that it was recently moved to increase administrative efficiency. 

Taylor Overton, a third-year College student and the vice president of administration, said it made more sense organizationally to have the office of recording secretary under his purview.

“The main function of the VPA is the internal management of StudCo, so since the recording secretary’s role is to record what goes on at general body meetings, we wanted to switch it over to VPA so that it stays in line with how the branches are outlined,” Overton said.