Women’s basketball beats Charlotte 65-61

Cavaliers win last non-conference game

<p>Junior forward Lisa Jablonowski scored a career-high 17 points to lead the Cavaliers past the 49ers Sunday afternoon.</p>

Junior forward Lisa Jablonowski scored a career-high 17 points to lead the Cavaliers past the 49ers Sunday afternoon.

Virginia women’s basketball won 65-61 at home against Charlotte Sunday afternoon in the Cavaliers’ final non-conference game. 

Junior forward Lisa Jablonowski scored a career-high 17 points to lead the Cavaliers (6-7) past the 49ers (8-4). Sophomore guard Brianna Tinsley and junior guard Dominique Toussaint both also scored in double figures for Virginia, with 12 and 11 points, respectively.

Tinsley also added four steals, and freshman guard Erica Martinsen had three, as the Cavaliers stole the ball a season-high 12 times. 

The game was tied 16-16 at the end of the first quarter and 25-25 at the half. Virginia opened the second half on a 16-2 run, scoring 13 straight to pull ahead of Charlotte, a lead the Cavaliers would not give up.

Charlotte began the fourth quarter on a 10-3 run before Toussaint made a three-pointer to keep Virginia in control.

With four seconds to go, the 49ers converted a three-point play to narrow Virginia’s lead to three points, but Jablonowski sunk a free throw at the other end to seal the game for the Cavaliers.

In addition to her 17 points, Jablonowski grabbed six rebounds, which were all offensive boards. Junior guard Jocelyn Willoughby and senior forward Moné Jones tied for the team lead with seven rebounds apiece.

Sunday’s victory was the second straight for Virginia, after a 15-point comeback to beat South Florida 74-67 last week behind 23 points from Willoughby and 18 points from Toussaint.

The Cavaliers open conference play on Jan. 3 at home against Florida State. The game will tip off at 7 p.m. at John Paul Jones Arena.