Baseball beats Longwood 13-4

Cavaliers win season-high fifth straight game

Senior right-hander Chesdin Harrington struck out a career-high eight batters Tuesday.

The Virginia baseball team (14-10, 5-4 ACC) earned a 13-4 home victory over Longwood (7-17, 2-4 Big South) Tuesday afternoon at Disharoon Park. The win was the Cavaliers’ fifth straight, their longest streak of the season to date.

Longwood took the early lead on an RBI single from freshman right fielder Hunter Gilliam in the top of the first. The Lancers then went up 2-0 in the top of the second, chasing Virginia’s starter, freshman right-hander Zach Messinger, before he could even record an out in the second inning.

Senior right-hander Chesdin Harrington came in to relieve Messinger and delivered four innings of relief to earn his first win of the season. Harrington gave up two runs on five hits, striking out a career-high eight Lancers in the process.

Harrington struck out the side in the top of the fourth with Virginia still up 2-0, but the Cavaliers took the lead in the bottom half of the frame. Virginia scored on a Longwood error to make it 2-1, then loaded the bases with nobody out. Sophomore shortstop Tanner Morris drew a walk to score one run, then junior catcher Logan Michaels scored on a wild pitch.

Senior designated hitter Jack Weiller and senior center fielder Cameron Simmons each added RBI groundouts in the fourth to put Virginia up 6-2.

Longwood scored two runs off Harrington in the top of the fifth, but Virginia scored three in their turn at the plate. Morris hit an RBI double to score sophomore right fielder Alex Tappen, and freshman second baseman Nic Kent singled in senior first baseman Nate Eikhoff. Morris finished 2-4 with three RBIs and a run scored, and Kent went 2-3 with two RBIs and three runs scored from the ninth spot in the order.

Virginia added three more runs in the sixth after Harrington left the game, two of which came on a single to left field by freshman third baseman Zack Gelof, who tied for the team lead in hits Tuesday along with Eikhoff with three apiece. Gelof also drove in three runs. Kent drove in Virginia’s final run of the day with a sacrifice fly in the seventh. 

Senior left-hander Riley Wilson and senior right-hander Evan Sperling combined for a scoreless effort over the final three innings, allowing only three hits between them.

The Cavaliers next play N.C. State March 29, in Raleigh, N.C. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.