No. 6 Virginia women’s soccer cruises past East Carolina 4-0

The Cavaliers post their third straight shutout victory of the season

<p>Freshman forward Diana Ordonez scored twice in the Virginia win.</p>

Freshman forward Diana Ordonez scored twice in the Virginia win.

The No. 6 Virginia women’s soccer team secured a 4-0 win against East Carolina Friday night as part of a double-header with the men’s soccer team. Students and fans crowded Klöckner Stadium to watch yet another explosive offensive performance as the Cavaliers (3-0, 0-0 ACC) routed the Pirates (0-1-1, 0-0 AAC).

East Carolina’s junior goalkeeper Melanie Stiles found little relief during the course of the match as Virginia broke down the Pirates’ defense with quick passes and converted set pieces into goal-scoring opportunities. 

In the 21st minute, Virginia took the 1-0 lead when senior forward Megan McCool scored for the third time this season. Sophomore forward Rebecca Jarret provided the assist, striking the ball into the box which deflected off the keeper and allowed McCool to score.

While no team scored for the remainder of the first half, the Cavaliers started the second half firing on all cylinders. 

A corner kick in the 48th minute by junior midfielder Taryn Torres found freshman forward Diana Ordonez in the middle of the box. Ordonez headed the ball just out of reach of Stiles to extend the Virginia lead to 2-0. 

Ordonez took the spotlight again in the 78th minute, scoring her sixth goal of the season. Senior forward Alissa Gorzak refused to allow a turnover in the box. After her first pass to Ordonez was intercepted by Stiles, Gorzak quickly retrieved the ball and slid it to Ordonez again who capitalized on the chance and scored for the second time in the match. 

Minutes later,  junior midfielder Anna Sumpter added a goal of her own to make it 4-0 in the Cavaliers’ favor. Freshman forward Cam Lexow found Sumpter in the box for the conversion. 

Junior goalkeeper Laurel Ivory posted the 18th clean sheet of her career, challenged just once by a shot in the 63rd minute. Ivory is now fourth all-time in shutouts as a Cavalier. 

Virginia will face No. 12 West Virginia (2-1, 0-0 Big 12) at Klöckner Stadium Sunday. The game will kick off at 2 p.m.