U.Va. proposes three to four percent increase in tuition and fees

The Board of Visitors will hold a public comment period tomorrow morning

The University is considering raising tuition and educational and general fees by between three and four percent for the 2020-2021 academic year.

University Finance released a notice Tuesday that the University is considering raising tuition and educational and general fees by between three and four percent for the 2020-2021 academic year. For in-state College students, this roughly translates to a $575 hike in tuition and fees before financial aid. 

This increase follows the upward trend in the rate of tuition increases over the past few years. In the years from 2016 to 2019, tuition has increased by 1.48, 2.18, 2.4 and 2.9 percent respectively. 

Additionally, non-educational and general fees face a proposed increase of between three and six percent. The majority of the revenues from this increase are planned to be appropriated for expanded student health services, such as the new student health and wellness center, which is currently under construction.

About 53 percent of University undergraduates receive some level of financial assistance, and University President Jim Ryan announced last year that the University would cover full tuition for in-state students with a family income below $80,000 a year, and covering tuition, fees and room and board for in-state students with a family income below $30,000.

According to a statement released by Wes Hester, deputy spokesperson of University communications, “Tuition increases are only implemented after the board has considered other revenue sources and looked for opportunities to increase efficiency.” 

The notice said that added revenue is necessary to help cover the cost of investments in student health services, academic programs, faculty and staff salaries and maintenance of Grounds and faculty salaries.

Tomorrow from 9:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m., a public comment period will be held in the South Meeting Room of Newcomb Hall over the proposed increase in undergraduate tuition and fees. Students will have the opportunity to speak directly to BOV members before the proposed increases are voted on at its Dec. 6 meeting.