Wrestling finishes fourth at Keystone Classic

The Cavaliers had three champions in their first team tournament of the year

<p>With three decisions, junior Louie Hayes wrestled his way to victory in the 133-pound weight class.</p>

With three decisions, junior Louie Hayes wrestled his way to victory in the 133-pound weight class.

The No. 23 Virginia wrestling team finished in fourth place Sunday in the Keystone Classic at the Palestra in Philadelphia, Pa. The Cavaliers (3-1, 0-0 ACC) led the event with three champions.

Junior Louie Hayes won the 133-pound division after winning all three matches by decision. Sophomore Denton Spencer won five consecutive matches to take the title in the 149-pound division, including a victory in the final over Appalachian State’s Jonathan Milner, the No. 19 ranked wrestler in that division.

Junior Jay Aiello, ranked ninth in the 197-pound weight class, took home the title in that division after picking up wins over wrestlers from VMI, Franklin & Marshall, Penn and Rider.

Redshirt freshman Patrick McCormick and sophomore Quinn Miller each picked runner-up finishes in the 125 and heavyweight divisions, respectively.

“Patrick [McCormick] wrestled out of his mind,” Coach Steve Garland said. “Louie [Hayes] looked great and Denton [Spencer] continues to beat ranked guys. Jay [Aiello] was solid and got better as the day went on. Quinn [Miller] had a good win in the semifinals and continues to grow.”

Virginia finished with 139 points in its first tournament of the season after previously competing in four duals. The hosts, Pennsylvania took first place in the event. The Cavaliers were just 13.5 points behind the hosts, who finished with 152.5.

The Cavaliers have next weekend off before returning to action at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational Dec. 6 and 7. The event will take place at the Las Vegas Convention Center in Las Vegas, Nev.