No. 9 women’s tennis knocks off Clemson, falls to No. 11 Georgia Tech

Virginia couldn’t overcome the Yellow Jackets but rebounded at home against the Tigers

<p>Freshman Natasha Subhash prevailed in her doubles match before toppling her Clemson opponent in straight-sets in her singles match.&nbsp;</p>

Freshman Natasha Subhash prevailed in her doubles match before toppling her Clemson opponent in straight-sets in her singles match. 

Coming off a strong victory against Michigan, No. 9 Virginia traveled to Atlanta, Ga. Friday to take on No. 11 Georgia Tech. The Cavaliers (8-3, 2-1 ACC) fell to the Yellow Jackets (12-5, 2-1 ACC) 4-3 despite taking an early lead in the match.

Virginia kicked off the weekend with three difficult doubles matches. Junior Vivian Glozman and No. 35 junior Rosie Johanson won 6-0 while No. 41 senior Chloe Gullickson and No. 89 sophomore Amber O’Dell fell 6-2. Sophomore Sofia Munera and No. 15 freshman Natasha Subhash won the decisive third doubles match 6-4 to give the Cavaliers an early 1-0 lead.

No. 95 Munera opened the singles matches with a decisive 6-3, 6-3 victory from the fifth singles spot. However, Georgia Tech fought back, winning matches against Johanson and O’Dell. The Yellow Jackets took the lead after Subhash fell to No. 23 senior Kenya Jones in a hard-fought match, but Gullickson tied the match again after she prevailed in straight sets. After a grueling three-set match, senior Nami Otsuka ultimately beat Glozman, giving the Yellow Jackets a 4-3 victory.

After the tough loss Friday, Virginia returned home Sunday to face the Tigers (9-4, 1-2 ACC) at the Snyder Tennis Center. 

The Cavaliers began the match by easily winning the doubles point — Glozman and Johanson won 6-2, and Munera and Subhash won their 11th doubles match of the season. Virginia has now earned the doubles point in 10 of 11 matches.

The Cavaliers continued to dominate on the singles side, as Subhash and Glozman opened with straight-set wins. Johanson clinched the match with a victory over senior Mackenzy Middlebrooks. To close out the match, O’Dell and Munera both won in three sets.

Virginia returns to action Friday in Chapel Hill against No. 1 North Carolina. The matches are scheduled to begin at 3 p.m.