Virginia men’s squash records highest season finish in program history

The Cavaliers rallied to finish fifth in the tournament

<p>The win Sunday marked the team's highest finish in program history.</p>

The win Sunday marked the team's highest finish in program history.

No. 7 men’s squash won the Potter Cup Consolation Final Sunday — their first-ever team appearance in the A division of the College Squash Association Team Championships. The Cavaliers (19-5) finished the tournament in fifth place.

In the opening match of the tournament, Virginia faced No. 2 Trinity — the first-ever meeting of the two squads. The Cavaliers ultimately fell 7-2 to the Bantam (18-1). 

Notable performances came from freshman Aly Hussein, who played five games to win a point for the Cavaliers in position one, and freshman Omar El Torkey, who won the Cavaliers’ only other point in position two with a 3-1 win. Three other Cavaliers — freshman Peter Mill, junior Andrew Braff and junior Matthew Katz — won at least one match against their opponents. 

Saturday, the Cavaliers were ready to rebound against No. 6 Yale in the consolation semifinal match. In an upset victory, the Cavaliers defeated the Bulldogs (9-8) even after falling behind 3-0. 

Yale established an early lead, taking the match’s first three points in positions six, seven and three. It was not until Braff won 11-4, 12-10, 11-5 in position nine that Virginia recorded their first win of the day. Sophomore Will Holey followed by edging out Yale sophomore Eric Kim 3-2 in position five, 11-4, 12-1, 3-11, 8-11, 11-9. 

A victory in position two allowed Yale stretch their lead to 4-2, but both Miller and Braff delivered wins to tie the match 4-4. Everything was then up to Hussein, who continued his undefeated streak in the tournament and won 3-0 to capture the match point for Virginia with a score of 11-5, 11-6, 11-7. 

The victory marked Virginia’s first ever win against Yale, who they had previously suffered two consecutive losses to Harvard and Pennsylvania. 

The Cavaliers then faced No. 5 Rochester (11-7) Sunday at the Murr Squash Center Courts for the first time in program history. 

El Torkey began the match strong for the Cavaliers, taking the position two victory 11-8, 9-11, 11-5, 11-8. The Yellowjackets responded with a victory in position four to tie the match, but both William and Braff in positions eight and nine recorded wins to stretch the Cavaliers’ lead to 3-1. 

After falling behind 2-1, senior Toby Hansford rallied in position six to win 9-11, 11-8, 12-12, 11-6, 11-8 and put Virginia within one point of a victory. Hussein — ready to deliver, as always — then clinched a win over Rochester junior Ashley Davis 8-11, 2-11, 11-3, 11-7, 11-9, who finished the weekend undefeated. Freshman Teddy Durfee followed Hussein with another victory to secure the Cavaliers’ highest finish in program history.

“What a finish to the season,” Coach Mark Allen said. “Every single one of our players came up big this weekend, and with the wins over Yale and Rochester, we end the season as the No. 5 ranked team in the country … They've played every match with guts and determination and never once doubted in their ability to compete at this level.” 

Virginia men’s squash ended the year with 19 wins, a program record since they were promoted to varsity status in 2017. Players will travel to Philadelphia, Pa. to compete individually in the CSA Individual Championships starting Friday.