U.Va. reports 238 active cases of COVID-19, 231 of which are students

The University’s COVID-19 Tracker added 22 new cases on Thursday

607 cases have been reported to the University since Aug. 17 through U.Va. Health Analytics, Student Health, Employee Health and testing vendor LetsGetChecked.

中文版请点击此处

The University’s COVID-19 Tracker reported 22 positive test results Thursday, a number that reflects the number of cases gathered Wednesday through U.Va. Health Analytics, Student Health, Employee Health and testing vendor LetsGetChecked. There has been an average of 13 cases per day so far this week. 

In total, 607 cases have been reported to the University since August 17. Of these, 238 are active, meaning that these individuals tested positive within the past 10 days and require isolation on- or off-Grounds. 

In the University community — a metric that includes students, faculty, staff and contracted workers — eight individuals tested positive on Monday and 15 on Tuesday. 

Since Monday, the percentage of filled quarantine rooms has risen from 26 percent to 28 percent, while the percentage of filled isolation rooms remains the same at seven percent. 

Of the 2,363 tests U.Va. Health administered last week, 191 were positive, amounting to a positivity rate of 8.08 percent. The positivity rate for students last week was 9.17 percent. 

The tracker also reported two new hospitalizations yesterday, for a current total of 20 hospitalizations. The time to complete a lab test at the hospital is about 27 hours on average.

On Tuesday, University President Jim Ryan announced updated COVID-19 guidelines that prohibit gatherings of more than five people, reinforce constant use of face coverings and ban travel and visitors for at least the next two weeks.

“Over the last few days, we’ve become more concerned about the spread of COVID-19 within the U.Va. community,” Ryan said in the video message. 

According to the Thomas Jefferson Health District Portal, the Charlottesville community at-large currently has had a total of 1,119 cases that have resulted in 29 hospitalizations and 28 deaths. 

The University’s COVID-19 Tracker is updated at 4 p.m. every weekday.