U.Va. reports 55 active COVID-19 cases in the community, 45 of which are students

Nine new cases were reported over the weekend

The number of daily average new cases has remained below 10 cases since the week of Oct. 11.

The University’s COVID-19 Tracker reported nine new cases of COVID-19 in the University community over the weekend, recording 55 active cases of COVID-19 among students, faculty, staff and contracted employees. Active cases are those currently in isolation who have tested positive for the virus within the past 10 days. Among those with active cases, 45 are students and 10 are University faculty, staff or contract employees.

The average number of new cases per day among University faculty, staff and students was seven from Oct. 18 through Oct. 24. The number of daily average new cases has remained below 10 cases since the week of Oct. 11. 

A total of 5,041 tests were administered within the University community last week with 51 tests producing positive results — a positivity rate of 1.01 percent. Of these, 4,627 tests were students with 41 testing positive.

Currently there are 23 people with COVID-19 in the U.Va. Hospital. Tests administered through the hospital take an average of 17 hours to return.

Student isolation rooms are at 3 percent capacity, and quarantine rooms are at 5 percent capacity. Students living on Grounds who have been exposed to COVID-19 or tested positive for the virus have been moved to on-grounds quarantine rooms, such as the International Residential College, or isolation rooms in local hotels. 

Regular testing continues among students living on-Grounds in University housing. At least once every nine days all students in University housing will be tested. 

The University has begun to ramp up testing for both the Charlottesville community and the students and staff in order to reduce the number of asymptomatic spreaders through random prevalence testing. University Provost Liz Magill announced in an email sent out to students on Tuesday that the university “will continue testing students living off Grounds in the Charlottesville/Albemarle County area, regardless of whether or not they are participating in any in-person learning activities.”

In the Thomas Jefferson Health District more broadly, there are 4,390 total cases of COVID-19 with 230 hospitalizations and 77 fatalities, according to the Thomas Jefferson Health District Portal.

The TJHD portal is updated every morning at 10 a.m., and the University’s COVID-19 Tracker is updated daily every Monday through Friday at 4 p.m.