U.Va. reports 41 active COVID-19 cases in the community, 19 of which are students

29 new cases where reported since last Friday

<p>A total of 4,941 student tests were administered last week, with 12 students testing positive and 13 University employees testing positive, resulting in a positivity rate of 0.5 percent.</p>

A total of 4,941 student tests were administered last week, with 12 students testing positive and 13 University employees testing positive, resulting in a positivity rate of 0.5 percent.

The University’s COVID-19 Tracker reported 26 new cases within the community since last Friday, 12 of which are students. There are currently 41 active cases among University students and staff — 19 of which are students and 22 of which are University faculty, staff or contracted employees.

The daily average of new cases has been decreasing in recent weeks, from a daily average of seven three weeks ago to a daily average of four last week. This week, the daily average increased slightly to five.

A total of 4,941 student tests were administered last week, with 12 students testing positive and 13 University employees testing positive, resulting in a positivity rate of 0.5 percent. This is less compared to the positivity rates of the previous week, in which just over 1 percent of University tests came back positive.

Nine new patients were admitted to the hospital since last Friday for COVID-19 treatment, bringing the number of COVID-19 patients in the hospital to 20. As of Friday, the hospital lab reports taking 21 hours to complete a test and produce a result.

University student isolation rooms are 1 percent occupied and student quarantine rooms are 3 percent occupied.

University testing has become more frequent among both on-Grounds and off-Grounds students, as the University’s testing capacities have increased. On-Grounds students report for regular testing at least once every nine days while off-Grounds students are randomly selected for asymptomatic prevalence testing or can request a test if they’re symptomatic or have been exposed to someone who tested positive.

University Provost Liz Magill sent an email update to students earlier this Friday detailing departure procedures for the Thanksgiving break. Prevalence testing among on-Grounds students will continue until Nov. 20 and will also act as departure testing. All off-Grounds students will be tested before Nov. 20 through the University’s testing program. University employees can order a COVID-19 test kit through LetsGetChecked for voluntary asymptomatic testing. More information on departure and voluntary testing can be found on the University’s monitoring and testing webpage.

The Thomas Jefferson Health Department Portal has recorded 43 new COVID-19 cases since Thursday. In the Charlottesville-Albemarle area, the number of cases continue to fluctuate. The TJHD portal reported five cases Monday, three Tuesday and 11 on Wednesday. There are 135 people hospitalized in the Charlottesville-Albemarle area for COVID-19 symptoms, and there have been 55 fatalities.

The TJHD Portal updates every morning at 10 a.m., and the University's COVID-19 Tracker updates every Monday through Friday at 4 p.m.

Meanwhile, the United States recorded 121,888 new COVID-19 cases on Thursday, breaking the record for new daily coronavirus cases for a second straight day, according to Johns Hopkins University.