Volleyball closes fall season with losses to Duke and North Carolina

The Cavaliers end the fall ACC season winless across eight matches

<p>After dropping eight straight matches against ACC foes, the Cavaliers will look to recoup in the spring.&nbsp;</p>

After dropping eight straight matches against ACC foes, the Cavaliers will look to recoup in the spring. 

Virginia volleyball closed out its fall season with a trio of games over the weekend. The Cavaliers (1-8, 0-8 ACC) lost to Duke (6-2, 6-2 ACC) before dropping a pair of games against North Carolina.

Game 1

Virginia opened the road trip with a Friday night clash against the Blue Devils at Cameron Indoor Stadium in Durham, N.C. The Cavaliers lost the match in straight sets, with the final score reading 25-21, 25-19, 25-22 in favor of Duke.

Duke started the match off quickly by jumping out to an 11-2 lead. The Blue Devils extended their lead to 11 at 17-6, but the Cavaliers went on a 4-0 run to reduce the deficit to 7. Virginia rode that momentum for the rest of the set and was able to cut the score to 22-21 after a pair of kills from sophomore outside hitter Grace Turner. However, Duke capitalized on three consecutive attack errors from Virginia to take the first set by a score of 25-21.

Both teams traded points at the start of the second set, and the score read 8-8 early on. Duke went on a 3-0 run to separate itself, but Virginia rallied and cut the deficit to 14-13. However, the Blue Devils went on another 3-0 run, and the Cavaliers were never able to get closer than three points for the remainder of the set, as Duke cruised to go up two sets.

Virginia played well to open the third set and held a 12-10 lead, but Duke went on a 4-0 run to retake the lead. The remainder of the set was tightly contested, and a kill from senior outside hitter Sarah Billiard tied the match at 20-20 for the Cavaliers. Duke scored three of the next four points to take a 23-21 lead, but junior middle blocker Milla Ciprian tallied a kill to get Virginia within one point. However, Duke won the final two points to take the set and the match.

Turner led all players in the match with 11 kills, and senior libero Alex Spencer recorded a match-high 20 digs.

Game 2

The Cavaliers returned to action the next day with a Saturday afternoon matchup against the Tar Heels (6-2, 6-2 ACC) at Carmichael Arena in Chapel Hill, N.C. The Cavaliers lost the match in four sets with the final score reading 25-20, 25-15, 23-25, 25-20.

The first set was close and neither team could gain more than a two-point advantage for almost the entirety of the set. However, with the score tied at 19-19, the Tar Heels went on a 6-1 run to close out the set and take an early lead in the match.

North Carolina carried over its momentum from the first set and raced out to a 10-4 lead in the second set. Virginia cut the deficit to five at 13-8, but North Carolina went on a 5-0 run to build an insurmountable 10-point lead. North Carolina ended up winning the set by a score of 25-15.

Facing the possibility of another straight-set defeat, Virginia came out playing with a higher sense of urgency in the third set. The two teams traded points at the start until the Cavaliers went on a 5-1 run to build a 17-14 lead. North Carolina was able to battle back and tied the set at 19-19. Virginia retook the lead on a 3-0 run after two North Carolina attack errors and a kill from sophomore outside hitter Jayna Francis. The Tar Heels pulled back within one point at 24-23, but senior outside hitter Christine Jarman recorded another kill to seal the set for the Cavaliers.

North Carolina opened up the fourth set by winning the first three points, but Virginia won seven of the next eight points to take a 7-4 lead. The Tar Heels responded with a 4-0 run, and the score remained close until it was tied at 12-12. At that point, North Carolina began to pull away with a 9-2 run to go up 21-14. Virginia was unable to mount a rally, and the Tar Heels ended up winning the set and the match.

Jarman and Billiard led the Cavaliers with 13 kills apiece, while Spencer recorded a match-high 15 digs. North Carolina sophomore outside hitter Parker Austin led all players in the match with 22 kills.

Game 3

Virginia concluded its road trip with another match against North Carolina Sunday afternoon. The Cavaliers fell to the Tar Heels in four sets again, with the final score reading 25-20, 22-25, 25-17, 25-23.

North Carolina opened the match on a 5-2 run and extended that lead to 14-10 midway through the first set. Virginia quickly scored three consecutive points to pull within one, but North Carolina went on a 6-3 run to restore its four-point cushion. The Cavaliers were unable to get any closer than three points, and the Tar Heels were able to take the first set 25-20.

The second set was close at the start, but North Carolina pulled away late and built a 20-16 lead. It looked as if the Tar Heels were poised to take another set, but the Cavaliers went on a 3-0 run to cut the deficit to just one point. North Carolina took a 22-20 lead, but Virginia ended the set on a 5-0 run after three errors from North Carolina to steal the set and even the match up at one set apiece.

Virginia struggled early on in the third set and North Carolina took advantage by going on a 6-0 run to build a 15-7 lead. The Cavaliers were never able to mount a rally attempt, and the Tar Heels rolled to a 25-17 victory.

Virginia started off hot in the third set and built an early 7-2 lead. Although North Carolina got within one point at 11-10, Virginia went on a 5-1 run to rebuild its five-point lead. North Carolina responded with a 7-1 run to take the lead. The teams proceeded to trade points until sophomore outside hitter Carly Peck recorded two kills at 23-23 to seal the win for North Carolina.

Billiard and Jarman led the Cavaliers with 12 kills each, while Peck recorded a match-high 16 kills for the Tar Heels.

The match capped off the fall portion of the schedule for Virginia. The team is expected to resume its season in the spring, but details will be announced until a later date.