Daily COVID-19 case numbers remain in single digits with seven new cases reported Wednesday

U.Va. Health and Blue Ridge Health District will begin contacting individuals eligible for vaccination under Phase 2 guidelines Monday

<p>The weekly average positivity rate Wednesday was 0.43 percent while Wednesday’s weekly average for new cases was 8.1.</p>

The weekly average positivity rate Wednesday was 0.43 percent while Wednesday’s weekly average for new cases was 8.1.

The University community saw seven new cases Wednesday, bringing the total number of active student cases to 73 and the total number of active faculty and staff cases to 15.

Weekly averages of new cases per day remain low, with an average of seven cases Sunday through Wednesday in comparison to 7.9 March 28 through April 3 and 3.6 March 21 to 28. There have been 1,821 total cases reported during the spring semester as of Wednesday, in comparison to 1,548 total cases reported during the fall semester.

While quarantine room occupation increased slightly from 2 percent occupancy last Wednesday to 3 percent occupancy this Wednesday, the occupation of isolation rooms remained at one percent. 

Hospitalizations remain low with four COVID-19-related admissions Wednesday, bringing the total number of in-house patients with COVID-19 to 25. New hospitalizations per day have continued to decline over the past several weeks, with an average of 4.43 new hospitalizations per day Monday through Wednesday in comparison to an average of 7.4 between Jan. 31 and Feb. 7.

The Blue Ridge Health District saw 63 new cases of COVID-19 Wednesday, bringing the total number of confirmed and probable cases to 14,757. Albemarle County currently has 5,379 cases of COVID-19, while Charlottesville contains 3,911 cases. 

University leadership details plans for vaccine distribution within University community

In an email to the student body Thursday, Provost Liz Magill and Chief Operating Officer JJ Davis wrote that University community members 16 and older will begin receiving invitations to sign up for a vaccine appointment from U.Va. Health beginning next week. 

This comes as the Blue Ridge Health District will expand vaccine eligibility to phase 2 and begin contacting eligible individuals who have pre-registered for a vaccination in the district Monday. Last week, the BRHD — which includes Albemarle County and Charlottesville — began Phase 1c of vaccine distribution. Under these guidelines, University faculty, staff, student employees and contractors are eligible to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.

In addition to those working in higher education, phase 1c guidelines detail the eligibility of workers in 13 different sectors, including food service, wastewater and public safety. This expanded eligibility is expected to extend the opportunity for vaccination to 7,000 individuals, based on preregistration information from the state’s online system.

As of April 1, the Blue Ridge Health District has vaccinated over 89,000 individuals and is adding hundreds of appointments weekly into the Vaccine Administration Management System, an online program developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to manage vaccine distribution. This week, the district received over 20,000 vaccine doses to distribute. 

So far, Blue Ridge Health District has vaccinated individuals qualifying to receive the vaccine during Phases 1a, 1b and 1c.