U.Va. COVID-19 tracker reports two new cases over Saturday and Sunday

The University saw an increase in the weekly average to eight new cases per day compared to five in the previous week

There are currently 69 total active cases in the University community.

The University’s COVID-19 dashboard reported two new cases over the weekend with one case Saturday and another Sunday. Both of the new cases were students. These numbers show a slight decrease compared to the previous weekend when three total cases were reported Saturday and Sunday. 

There are currently 69 total active cases in the University community — 61 cases are identified as students and eight come from faculty and staff. 

Last week, the University saw an increase in the weekly average COVID-19 cases, with nine new cases each day — the highest it has been in the past three weeks. While the weekly average for students was eight cases per day last week, faculty and staff had a weekly average of one case.

Moreover, the seven-day average positivity rate is currently 0.45 percent compared to the 0.27 percent average reported last Sunday. The seven-day average positivity rate is 0.42 percent for students and 1.08 percent for faculty and staff.

Over the weekend, the Blue Ridge Health District’s COVID-19 portal reported 30 cases Saturday and eight Sunday, bringing the seven-day moving average to 22. As of today, there are 14,652 total cases and 204 total fatalities in the BRHD since the pandemic began.

The BRHD is currently vaccinating individuals in phase 1a, certain phase 1b essential workers, individuals 65+ and individuals ages 16 to 64 with high risk medical conditions. 

However, on April 18, Virginia will be moving to Phase 2. In Phase 2, individuals who are 16 and older who live or work in Virginia will be eligible to get the COVID-19 vaccine. According to the Virginia Department of Health website, some communities will make the transition to Phase 2 sooner than others. Additionally, VDH has noted that some communities will begin inviting members of the general public from the pre-registration list to appointments beginning April 4.

The University’s COVID-19 tracker updates at 4 p.m. Monday through Friday while the BRHD portal updates by 10 a.m. daily.