Aggravated assault reported on Rugby Road

This is the eighth community alert sent to the University community by Longo since the beginning of the fall semester

The victim fled towards 17th Street, and the group fled southbound on Rugby Road.

University Police responded to an incident of aggravated assault Saturday at 12:44 a.m. The incident occurred Saturday between 12:40 a.m. and 12:42 a.m. on Rugby Road in the area of Beta Bridge, according to a community alert issued by Timothy Longo, vice president for security and safety and chief of UPD.

A group of approximately six males was reported to have approached the victim, who was walking north on Rugby Road near Beta Bridge. The victim accidentally bumped into a member of the group as he passed, and a male individual displayed what appeared to be a gun and struck the victim. The victim fled towards 17th St., while the group fled south on Rugby Road. 

The victim could not provide a description of the armed individual or others in the group. Anyone with information regarding this incident is encouraged to contact UPD.

This is the eighth community alert sent to the University community by Longo since the beginning of the fall semester, and the first instance of aggravated assault. The first alert occurred on the 300 block of Paton Street on Aug. 30, the second on the 500 block of 12 Street NW Sept. 1 and the most recent at the intersection of 8th Street and Page Street on Wednesday. The third incident involved an innocent bystander, who was accidentally struck by a bullet fired through the bathroom wall of Boylan Heights on Sept. 4.

University President Jim Ryan noted health and safety as one of his priorities this academic year in an interview with The Cavalier Daily on Wednesday. Ryan previously addressed growing safety concerns in a community-wide email sent Sept. 9.

“Community alerts” are shared with the University community when there is sufficient and timely information that can be released to the community without compromising any on-going investigations. “Timely warnings” are sent when a threat poses an “on-going threat” to the safety of the community.”