Weekly average of new cases per day of COVID-19 drops from 21 to 18 in the last week

167 students and 58 faculty and staff are currently infected with COVID-19

<p>The seven-day average positivity rate decreased from 3.49 percent Sunday to 3.05 percent on Thursday.</p>

The seven-day average positivity rate decreased from 3.49 percent Sunday to 3.05 percent on Thursday.

Lea en español

The weekly average of diagnosed COVID-19 cases per day is decreasing in both students and faculty, with a weekly average of 14 between Sunday and Thursday compared to 18 last week. The 35 cases reported Thursday, however, surpassed Sept. 2 for the highest case count this fall. 

There are currently 225 active cases of COVID-19 within the University community, bringing the total case count for the fall semester to 352. Of the 225 cases, 167 are students while 58 are members of the faculty and staff, according to the University’s COVID-19 tracker

The seven-day average positivity rate decreased from 3.49 percent Sunday to 3.05 percent on Thursday. The rate remains high in students, with a 3.36 percent average positivity rate. This compares to 2.45 percent among faculty and staff.

The University administered the highest volume of COVID-19 tests during the fall semester Thursday when it delivered 1,241 tests. This number only includes tests administered through U.Va Health or LetsGetChecked and does not take into account other tests. 

Students make up a vast majority of those tested, with an average seven-day testing rate of 417.0 students tested, compared to 216.14 faculty and staff.

Nine patients were admitted to U.Va. Health with COVID-19 Thursday, bringing the current total of COVID-19 hospitalizations to 70. Last Friday, 10 new patients were hospitalized with COVID-19. The seven-day average for COVID-19 hospitalizations as of Thursday is 10.29.

The University is currently at zero percent occupancy for quarantine rooms and 14 percent occupancy for isolation rooms. Quarantine rooms are for those who may have been exposed to COVID-19, while isolation rooms are for those who have tested positive for COVID-19.

This semester, all students living in the Charlottesville and Albemarle area who are not vaccinated are required to report for testing on a weekly basis. If a student fails to comply with mandatory testing, one of four punishments increasing in severity will be instituted. 

Students who are symptomatic can make an appointment on their HealthyHoos portal to get tested this Saturday between noon and 4 p.m. at the Student Health and Wellness building. Faculty, staff, and students can also undergo voluntary asymptomatic testing during walk-in testing hours from 3 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at Scott Stadium and the Emmet/Ivy parking garage.

In order to return to residential learning, students were required to either submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or provide documentation of an approved medical or religious exemption. Faculty and staff were not required — but encouraged — to get vaccinated before returning to in-person teaching. As of Aug. 20, 96.6 percent of students are fully vaccinated. The remaining 2.4 percent of students have documented vaccination exemptions. 97 percent of students and 92 percent of faculty at the University have been fully vaccinated as of Aug. 23.

The University’s COVID-19 tracker is updated every weekday at 4 p.m.