The Cavalier Daily elects editors for the 133rd term

Third-year College student Eva Surovell will serve as the paper’s next editor-in-chief

<p>Surovell said the ideas shared by the various individuals who ran for positions during elections left her feeling inspired and energized for the upcoming year.&nbsp;</p>

Surovell said the ideas shared by the various individuals who ran for positions during elections left her feeling inspired and energized for the upcoming year. 

The Cavalier Daily held its 133rd term elections Saturday, selecting third-year College student Eva Surovell as the paper’s next editor-in-chief in an uncontested election.

Surovell currently serves as managing editor and was previously a news editor for The Cavalier Daily’s 131st term, as well as a news and sports senior associate editor and copy staffer. She will succeed Jenn Brice, the current Editor-in-Chief of The Cavalier Daily’s 132nd term and a fourth-year College student who previously served as the managing editor of The Cavalier Daily’s 131st term. The new term will begin Jan. 21. 

“I am incredibly grateful for the opportunity to serve our staffers and community this term,” Surovell said. “The work of student journalists is more important now than ever, and I am looking forward to engaging the University and Charlottesville in our storytelling this year.”

Surovell’s goals for the term include streamlining production processes, prioritizing community-building and professional development opportunities for staff and rebuilding relationships with groups across Grounds.

Second-year College student Ava MacBlane, who currently serves as a news editor, was selected managing editor in an uncontested election. 

Second-year College student Jessica Moore was elected executive editor in a contested election. 

Third-year College student Katrina Yankovich was re-selected to the position of chief financial officer after serving in the position during the 132nd term. 

Third-year Batten student Ethan Fingerhut was selected operations manager after serving as production editor for two terms. 

Alongside its managing board, The Cavalier Daily also elected a new junior board. 

Third-year College student Ellie Prober and second-year College student Kate Jensen were selected to be the assistant managing editors. Prober currently serves as the paper’s community outreach and event coordinator. 

Third-year College students Lauren O’Neil and Emma Gallagher were elected news editors in a contested election. 

The 133rd term’s sports editors will be third-year College students Joe von Storch and Jude Nanaw. 

Third-year College students Evelyn Duross and Bryce Wyles were selected to be opinion editors. 

Third-year College student Alexa Clark and first-year College student Catherine Cossaboom were selected as health and science editors. Clark is currently one of the health and science editors for the 132nd term. 

Third-year College student Lauren Whitlock and second-year College student Mary Kurbanov were elected to serve as arts and entertainment editors in a contested election.

Second-year College student Cecy Juarez and third-year College student Mario Rosales were elected life editors in a contested election. Juarez currently serves as life editor for the 132nd term.

The 133rd term editors for the abCD magazine will be third-year College students Kyndal Harrison and Vani Agarwal, who both currently serve as the magazine’s editors for the 132nd term. 

Third-year College student Khuyen Dinh and second-year College student Ava Proehl were selected as photo editors. Dinh currently serves as a photo editor for the 132nd term. 

Third-year College students Ariana Arenson and Grace Fluharty were selected as podcast editors for On Record. 

Second-year College student Camila Cohen Suárez was elected as humor editor in a contested election. 

Third-year College student Teresa Michael was selected as cartoon editor. 

First -year College student Addy Klinger and third-year College Joel Gomez were selected as video editors. 

The 133rd term graphics editors will be first-year College student Lexie Gagnon and third-year College student Maya Kalidindi. 

Second-year College student Mix Rudolph, first-year College student Honor Wood and first-year College student Ally Liu were selected to serve as production editors. 

Third-year College student Nicole Ryeom was selected as social media manager. 

The 133rd term website manager will be third-year Engineering student Rose Eluvathingal Muttikkal.  

Third-year College student MJ Corvalan and second-year College student Xiaohan Zhang were selected as translation editors for the Spanish and Chinese translation sections, respectively. 

Second-year College student Montana Showalter was re-elected as advertising manager after serving in the position during the 132nd term. 

First-year College student Charlie Healy was elected to serve as finance manager in a contested election.