Snowfall expected Sunday despite days of warm weather

1 to 2 inches is expected in Charlottesville, with more possible just to the west

<p>The same advisory is also in effect further north in Washington, D.C.</p>

The same advisory is also in effect further north in Washington, D.C.

Despite multiple days in a row with high temperatures over 60 degrees Fahrenheit, snowfall is once again forecast in Charlottesville, with rain expected to transition to snowfall late Saturday night into Sunday. 

The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for Charlottesville, with forecasters warning of a general one to two inches of snow, with the potential for up to four inches of snow in some spots. The same advisory is also in effect further north in Washington, D.C.

The Winter Weather Advisory takes effect at 1 a.m. on Sunday and is set to expire at 4 p.m.

With the precipitation expected to start as rain and temperatures having been warm for the past few days, the heaviest accumulations are expected on unpaved locations. Still, slippery road conditions will be possible, especially in areas that receive the highest amounts of snowfall.

Just about 40 miles west of Charlottesville in Staunton, Virginia, a Winter Storm Warning has been issued for three to six inches of snow, with up to eight inches of snow possible. 

“There has been a large upward trend in a local bullseye across central Virginia along I-81,” the National Weather Service’s Sterling office wrote in its forecast discussion. “Some high-resolution models show 6 to 8 inches possible, which is certainly not out of the question.”

The National Weather Service’s official forecast suggests a narrow area of heavy snowfall in that region — something that some, but not all, models do manage to extend towards Charlottesville. 

However, the National Weather Service’s forecast maps suggest that snow lovers should be cautious before getting too invested in the more extreme solutions. Currently, the National Weather Service forecasts a reasonable worst-case scenario — which it describes as having a 1-in-10 chance of occurring — as 3.1 inches in Charlottesville and 6 inches in Staunton. 

Another round of light snowfall is possible Sunday night, with accumulations expected to be minimal at this time, with no Winter Weather Advisory issued as of publication. However, temperatures are expected to be well below freezing, meaning that any snow that falls could impact the morning commute.

Any changes to the University’s operating status will be posted on the @UVA_EM Twitter account and on the Academic Operations Status Board.