Incident at Alderman Library stable with one individual in custody

Police activity began in the area of Newcomb Hall construction around 5:30 p.m. and concluded around 6:15 p.m.

<p>An individual was found in the restricted construction area behind Alderman Library and was taken into custody.</p>

An individual was found in the restricted construction area behind Alderman Library and was taken into custody.

After the University Police Department and Charlottesville Police Department responded to an initial armed robbery report, an individual was found in the restricted construction area behind Alderman Library and was taken into custody. A weapon was discovered on the scene, but UPD and CPD are not aware of any shots being fired on Grounds during this incident, per a press release.

At approximately 5:08 p.m., UPD and CPD officers arrived at the Central Grounds Parking Garage in response to a report of a potential robbery with a weapon. After arriving at the location, the officers learned that the subject had left the area on foot. The subject was later found amidst the construction site and after a period of negotiation, was taken into custody without incident. 

The University Alert System was used multiple times over the course of the incident. University Emergency Management uses the U.Va. Alerts system to notify community members of any imminent threat on-Grounds or in adjacent areas.  

At 5:26 p.m., the University Alert System reported police activity in the area of Newcomb Hall, urging individuals to leave the vicinity and follow the advice of UPD and/or Charlottesville Fire Department.

Shortly after, the University Emergency Management team sent a new alert reporting police activity at the Alderman Library site, asking individuals in the surrounding areas to shelter in place.

At 6:09 p.m., the situation at Alderman Library was deemed stable by the Emergency management team and the shelter in place order was lifted. The police remained on the scene but announced that one individual was taken into custody.

Only members of the University community with an active email address and U.Va. Netbadge accounts are eligible to receive emergency alerts through the U.Va. Alerts text messaging system. Students can add parent or guardian contacts to their NetBadge account on the Emergency Management website, making parents and guardians eligible to receive U.Va. Alerts through text messaging or email.

In addition to students, parents and guardians those who wish to receive U.Va. Alerts via text can opt-in by texting “UVA” to 226787. The shortcode subscription service expires after 365 days, and subscribers can renew their subscription by replying "START."

In addition to receiving emergency alerts through the U.Va. Alerts text messaging service, any individual can view emergency details and schedule changes at the University's emergency page at uvaemergency.virginia.edu. Alerts and information will also be tweeted on @UVA_EM, @HoosSafe and @UVAPolice.