Darren D. Kelly named next dean of OAAA

Kelly enters the role Oct. 3

While a student at U.Va., Kelly served as an OAAA Peer Advisor for three years and a member of the Black Student Alliance, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. and Class of 2004 Fourth-Year Trustees.

Class of 2004 alumnus Darren D. Kelly will join the Office of African American Affairs Oct. 2 as the associate vice president and dean. Kelly brings extensive teaching and mentoring experience to implement a student-focused approach, according to an announcement from Student Affairs.

Kelly will replace Michael Gerald Mason, who currently serves as the interim OAAA dean, taking on the responsibilities of providing academic advising and support to students.

Currently serving as associate vice president in the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement at the University of Texas at Austin, Kelly also led the Academic Diversity Initiatives and Student Engagement team in fundraising and community outreach efforts.

Malo Hutson, dean and Edward E. Elson professor of the School of Architecture, who chaired the search committee, told Student Affairs that Kelly is a “dynamic leader.”

“The search committee was impressed by Dr. Kelly’s vast experience working with faculty, staff, and students to develop high-impact programs and initiatives,” Hutson said.

At UT Austin, Kelly is also an assistant professor of instruction in the Department of Kinesiology and Health Education where he teaches courses in sports and society and leads research in the development of student athletes, especially African American students.

Kelly will move to Charlottesville with his wife and two sons. In the Student Affairs announcement, he said his time at U.Va. inspired his approach as a leader.

“I’m excited to be returning to UVA and Charlottesville,” Kelly said. “I cherish the opportunity to continue the outstanding work of OAAA, a unit that meant so much to me as a student. My family and I are grateful for this opportunity.”