Attempted abduction reported in 800 block of Cabell Ave, suspect in custody

The victim is in stable condition

The suspect, forty-year-old James Robert Allen, is described as a white male wearing glasses with dark blonde hair.

The Charlottesville Police Department received a call about a disturbance resulting in an attempted abduction and strangulation around the 800 block of Cabell Ave at roughly 9:40 p.m. Wednesday, per two community alerts sent by Timothy Longo, chief of the University Police Department and vice president for security and safety. 

Per an update Thursday morning from J.J. Davis, executive vice president and chief operating officer, the suspect — James Robert Allen from Suffolk County — has been arrested and is in custody. Allen has no known connection to the University and officials believe there is no longer a threat to public safety. 

“We will continue our practice of maintaining resources both on Grounds and off Grounds in areas where students live,” Wagner wrote. “This includes Ambassadors, alongside police resources.”

On their arrival at the scene Wednesday night, officers located a female victim who reported that an unknown man had attempted to abduct her. The victim, who was identified as a University student, was treated for injuries at U.Va. Medical Center and is in stable condition. Per the community alert, the suspect and the victim are not believed to have known each other prior to the attempted abduction. 

Students reported that the suspect struck multiple vehicles and trees with his vehicle, which was corroborated by the community alert.

This community alert is the second this month, following a shots fired incident Sunday. Wagner reminded students of safe transportation options available at night, including Night Pilot and OnDemand, which was formerly known as Safe Ride. 

Community alerts are shared via email to the University community when there is timely information about a threat that can be released to the community without compromising any ongoing investigations. Timely warnings are issued when there is an ongoing threat to the community.

The public may opt-in to receive emergency alerts by texting “UVA” to 226787.