No. 5 Virginia field hockey bounces back with a shutout win against No. 26 Miami

The Cavaliers put on a dominant performance to wrap up their road trip

<p>The Cavaliers never relented an early lead against the RedHawks.</p>

The Cavaliers never relented an early lead against the RedHawks.

Last Sunday saw No. 5 Virginia field hockey travel to Oxford, Ohio for a matchup against No. 26 Miami on the final leg of its road trip. Adding a third shutout victory to this season’s record, the Cavaliers (7-4, 1-2 ACC) played a strong offensive game to triumph 2-0 against the RedHawks (8-5, 3-0 MAC). 

The Cavaliers wasted no time in taking command of the game, taking a 1-0 lead at the 8th minute in the first quarter. The goal came after a penalty corner awarded to Virginia was shot at by junior midfielder Noa Boterman and blocked by Miami. 

Graduate student midfielder Adele Iacobucci gained possession of the ball and took a hard shot, which deflected off a RedHawk defender’s stick and went into the net. This was Iacobucci’s second goal of the season. 

A second penalty corner came in the 12th minute in the first quarter from sophomore midfielder Daniela Mendez-Trendler, but a shot by junior defender Jans Croon soon after was blocked by Miami.

In the second quarter, Boterman continued the offensive momentum with a penalty shot. The shot hit the post, but Boterman came back at the 17th minute for a shot on goal but was saved by Miami senior goalkeeper Isabelle Perese. 

The Cavaliers played an aggressive offensive game in the second quarter, with three total shots on goal by Boterman, Mendez-Trendler and Croon. All shots were saved by Perese. 

Miami’s sole offensive strike came just before a half hour into the game, from a penalty corner shot by senior midfielder Claudia Negrete Garcia, which was blocked by Virginia. 

Virginia’s momentum carried into the third quarter, which saw the Cavaliers attempt to extend their lead, taking eight shots in total. Though Miami faltered in its offensive play, the RedHawks played a resolute corner defense and did not allow Virginia to score a second goal in the third quarter. Three shots were blocked by Miami, two shots were saved by Perese, and three shots — one by Mendez-Trendler and two by freshman striker Emma Watchilla — went wide. 

The fourth quarter saw Virginia dominating offensive play in a similar fashion, with an insurance goal by Boterman at the 51st minute, scoring on the Cavaliers’ 12th penalty corner of the game, bringing the score to 2-0. Mendez-Trendler and junior defender Emily Field teamed up for an assist on Boterman’s fourth goal of the season. 

The final whistle sounded for Virginia to add their seventh win of the season. Sunday’s victory brings Virginia to a 15-0 all-time lead against Miami. 

The Cavaliers bounced back from a 2-0 loss to No. 1 Louisville Friday afternoon, playing in a dominant fashion. Virginia outshot the RedHawks 19-1, with eight shots on goal for Virginia and zero for Miami. Virginia also held a 13-1 edge over Miami in penalty corners. Maintaining the scoring momentum against stronger conference opponents will be key for the Cavaliers.

Virginia is set to face No. 3 Duke Friday at Turf Field, with kickoff set for 5 p.m.