Kelly Kaler and Caroline Houck

McDonnell aims to cut local costs

Gov. Bob McDonnell announced last Thursday that he will launch a new task force for the review of state mandates in hopes of reducing the amount local governments must spend on policies required by the state. Individuals on the task force will be able to review state mandates and recommend changes as they see fit. Serving on the Task Force for Local Government Mandate Review are Virginia Beach City councilman Bob Dyer, Fairfax County Board of Supervisors member Pat Herrity, Lynchburg city manager Kimball Payne, Falls Church school board member Joan Wodiska and Fluvanna County Board of Supervisors member Shaun Kenney. "This group will identify mandates that are overly burdensome or unnecessary and recommend appropriate changes, providing relief to local governments," McDonnell said in a press release. According to the release, the creation of the task force is part of an ongoing effort to improve local and state government relations and evaluate the effectiveness of mandates. Mandates are passed by both federal and state governments and require the implementation of certain policies at the local level. Ray Scheppach, Batten School professor of practice, said legislators often do not realize the adverse financial effects these well-intentioned laws have on states and localities. "Legislators will often mandate things assuming it's not going to cost anything," Scheppach said.

More articles »