Police say Harrington hitchhiked on bridge

Investigators now believe missing Virginia Tech student Morgan Dana Harrington was hitchhiking while on the Copeley Road bridge the night she disappeared after leaving a Metallica concert Oct. 17, according to a Friday press release from Virginia State Police.

After leaving the arena at about 8:30 p.m., Harrington talked to her friends on her cell phone and then walked through the parking lot of University Hall. She was also seen in the Lannigan Field athlete parking lot. At about 9:30 p.m., she was seen walking on the Copeley Road bridge near Ivy Road. "Independent witness accounts" have made the police "confident" that Harrington was hitchhiking for a ride, the press release stated.

Police have also released a photo of the type of necklace Harrington was wearing the night of her disappearance. It is a Swarovski Crystal necklace made up of large crystal chain links. Anyone with additional information about Harrington's case is encouraged to contact Virginia State Police at (434) 352-3467. Tips can also be e-mailed to bci-appomattox@vsp.virginia.gov.

-compiled by Laura Hoffman