Cavaliers fall to Maryland, 79-55

The Virginia women’s basketball team could not keep pace with a tough Maryland team Thursday night, falling 79-55 in College Park.

Midway through the first half, the Cavaliers (5-3, 0-1 ACC) had only managed one field goal but used eight free throws to keep within five points. The Terrapins (5-2, 1-0 ACC) pulled away, however, with 20-9 run to take a 35-19 halftime lead.

Tiana Hawkins, the ACC leader in points and rebounds, propelled Maryland with 12 points and seven boards. The Terrapins dominated the Cavaliers in the post throughout the half, taking a 29-15 rebound advantage.

Maryland opened the second half much like it ended the first — with a 16-5 run to push the lead to 27 points — but the Cavaliers battled back to a 14-point deficit with 12 minutes to play. Freshman guard Jaryn Garner capped the run with a layup and totaled 8 points off the bench for the Cavaliers.

The Cavaliers struggled to cut the lead further, however, and the Terrapin sheld at least 20-point advantage for much of the second half. Franklin led the scoring for the Cavaliers with 15 points, but the team shot just 25 percent from the field. Both Hawkins and Maryland’s Alyssa Thomas finished with 20 points and double-digit rebounds.

Virginia now takes a break for exams before returning to action Dec .18 with a home game against Coppin State.

Published December 7, 2012 in FP test, Sports

OPINION

• Of body and mind

As human beings, there is no reason to treat people with mental health disorders differently than we ...

• EMERY: We’re all in this together

Mental health issues also affect college students who are comfortable with who they are, who cope well ...

• AHMED: ADAPTing to college life

The most worthy part of ADAPT’s mission, in my eyes, is one of social norms. We have the ability to ...