Second-year Goldsmith passed away Saturday

Jefferson Scholar, Alphi Phi sister loved University

Second-year College student Mary Goldsmith passed away Saturday evening in a Washington, D.C. hospital. Goldsmith, who went by Shelley, was a Jefferson Scholar and active member of the University community.

In addition to working at Boylan Heights, Goldsmith was a sister in Alpha Phi sorority, where she found her community at the University.

“PHInally an Αφ baby!” Goldsmith tweeted after girls’ bid day last year. “The Ivy League already feels like home.”

Before coming to the University last year, Goldsmith was Student Council President and played varsity tennis at Abingdon High School.

“Between Derby Days, Days on the Lawn, and spending my morning on the Lawn, I have officially fallen in love with spring at UVa,” Goldsmith wrote on her twitter page several months ago.

In an email to the University, Vice President Pat Lampkin said Counseling and Psychological Services and the Office of the Dean of Students, which includes Housing and Residence Life, were ready to offer help to students affected by Goldsmith’s passing.