NEWS

Mock Trial embraces summer recruitment

Group avoids rush of fall semester advertising

Virginia Mock Trial is implementing some unorthodox recruiting methods this fall. While most student groups begin recruitment efforts at the start of the semester, Mock Trial began advertising at summer orientation.

“We can only take new members right at the start of the year, so we want to make sure as many people as possible hear about us,” said Mock Trial President Ben Constine, a second-year Batten student.

Associate Dean of Students Marsh Pattie said though CIOs are permitted to advertise in the summer, the advertising is probably not as effective as recruiting during the semester.

“Summer orientation is already so full,” Pattie said. “Incoming students are particularly focused on registering for classes and learning how to navigate the University.”

Mock Trials efforts this summer, Constine said, were effective for the group.

“We’ve had a fair number of people who don’t have [another] connection [to the group] emailing us during orientation,” Constine said. “Kids don’t necessarily reference seeing us on a poster at orientation.”

Constine said other groups with more flexibility likely could wait until the Student Activities Fair.

“CIO advertising would, I fear, get lost in the shuffle and be an unnecessary drain on the group’s limited resources,” Constine said.

Published August 20, 2014 in News

• Sabrina No Source said:

Jackie lied about the rape to make Randall jealous. Why are editors of the student newspaper at Jefferson's university so afraid of the truth?
    on Students produce video thanking Jackie

• James Roberts said:

Falsely accusing others of assault is a crime. The fallout from this is going to keep raining down on Jackie and UVa for years. Cavalier Daily has not ...

• Carrie Clarke said:

Publishing this in the school newspaper is extremely callous and insulting to all of the other UVa students and faculty (Dean Eramo) who have been harmed ...

• CrazyD said:

The Washington Post has a bombshell today where it was revealed that Jackie made up the UVA Junior in order to get "Randall" jealous and interested in ...

• HallieJane said:

Dear Cavalier Daily: Where on God's green earth have you been. No one was in a better position to discover Jackie was lying - Was there a party that ...