Folk-rock band “The Currys” take on Tuesday nights at Boylan Heights

Group delivers strong sounds and a powerful dynamic

On the front patio of local bar and gourmet burger joint Boylan Heights at 5 p.m. on a Tuesday, something is about to happen. The Currys, a folk-rock band based in Charlottesville since early 2013, tune their bass and guitars and adjust their amp and effects pedals. They soon begin to play, and Boylan Heights and its surroundings are filled with an incredible sound.

The Currys play warm, richly-layered folk music which completely belies the fact that only three of the regular five members are playing. Each member takes a turn on lead vocals, the other two providing smooth background vocals or close, textured harmonies. This approach allows the band to achieve a variety of styles and sounds, as the three have highly distinct voices ranging from mid-baritone to silky high tenor.

In addition to sharing vocal duties, the band also spreads the wealth instrumentally. Members trade off on guitar, bass, auxiliary percussion on tambourine and shaker, and mandolin. This lends The Currys diversity, each member bringing a unique stylistic touch to whatever instrument they’re playing.

Their original “Ghost Song” includes percussive guitar playing, creative melodic use of guitar harmonics and two-part vocal harmonies which build to a huge three-part vocal medley during choruses. The band’s cover choices generally reflect their folk-rock style, and include classics like The Band’s “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down” and more recent hits like Lake Street Dive’s “You Go Down Smooth.” A particularly notable rendition was their cover of Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues,” played at the request of a passerby, which included a kazoo solo. Making a kazoo solo sound cool is no small feat, but The Currys did it with ease.

Equally impressive was The Currys’ mandolin-inflected, folky cover of Justin Timberlake’s “Mirrors.” The band managed to arrange the pop hit to fit in smoothly with their more typical covers while retaining its original soaring harmonies. This bold but respectful treatment of a well-known song is indicative of some serious musicianship and an admirable desire to cater to popular tastes while retaining stylistic integrity.

In general, The Currys also demonstrate strong control of dynamics, going from a spare folk sound to a powerful, sweeping wall of sound not usually heard from just three musicians. They also make occasional use of electric guitar, an element which balances their sound between rock and lighter folk sensibilities.

The Currys are in the middle of their month-long Tuesday evening residency at Boylan Heights, but folk-rock fans ought to check them out at any venue possible. Their original songs boast clever, old-school bluegrass influenced lyrics and their covers include unique takes on some popular favorites. The band can be seen weekly from 5 to 7:30 p.m., and all performances are free.