PATEL: The importance of COLA

COLA courses should be a requirement for every first-year student at the University

College can be a big transition from high school. First semester of first year can seem daunting, but to make this transition easier at the University, the College of Arts and Sciences introduced a series of courses called COLA courses, which stands for College Advising Seminar, that are defined as optional one credit courses — topics chosen by the professor — with about 80 percent of class time devoted to course material and 20 percent devoted to group advising. The usefulness of COLA courses makes a persuasive case for requiring them of all first-year College students.

One of the most important experiences that a COLA class provides is the opportunity for the average first-year to get into an intimate, discussion-based class. Most first-years start out with schedules full of large lecture halls and broad introductory-level courses. This change is from the average 20-30 person high school class, full of people they know, to a 100+ person lecture in which they are lucky to speak once a month, if at all. Large lecture halls and impersonal classes, though necessary, are intimidating. To alleviate some of the shock from moving from small high school classes to large lectures in college, first-years should be required to make the relatively small commitment to a COLA so they can have at least one opportunity a week to have their voices heard and recognized.

Many of these first-years find their COLAs to be one of their most interesting and thought provoking classes because of their diversity and the specificity of course materials. They are much more narrow in scope than courses usually taken by first-years, and when this very focused course material is combined with the vast array of options, first-years become much more engaged in the course when compared to other classes. The reason is simple: COLA courses focus on a narrow topic, and that topic is one that the student is interested in.

COLA classes also provide the opportunity for weekly, direct communication with academic advisors because the professor in charge of the COLA is also the academic advisor for everyone in that class. Normally, many students don’t feel like their assigned advisor is someone they can come to when they have questions both academic and non-academic. Having a COLA changes that because through it the academic advisor and student interact frequently, creating a personal connection that allows students to be more comfortable going to their COLA instructors with questions than they would be going to a randomly assigned academic advisor with whom students usually aren’t very familiar.

While Student Council and the University have been working to reform this flawed advising system with programs such as Student Council’s ULink program, which provides peer advisors for incoming students in addition to College Council and other advising groups, the best route for helping first-years is still through the direct interactions between faculty and students in COLA classes.

This personal connection isn’t limited to the professor; it also includes a deeper connection with the other students in that particular COLA class. This is due to the convergence of students who have similar interests in the course material they have opted to learn, as well as the ability of the COLA atmosphere to facilitate meaningful conversation between students. Students will move beyond the mundane topics discussed with those who sit next to them in a large lecture hall to subjects more personal and significant. This deeper conversation will help first-year students make friends that they share passions with and can easily relate to.

Logistically, it would be difficult to increase the amount of COLA classes to the large number required for every first-year College student to be in a COLA in one semester. It is not, however, impossible, because of the reduction in student registration in other classes. The addition of a this requirement isn’t going to make every student decide to take one fewer class, but many students will likely drop a class to make room for their COLA and have their desired amount of credits. Additionally, COLA classes are designed to be relatively small commitments for professors. The slight nuisance of a few extra hours of work a week for professors is worth the increased benefits COLAs provide for University students.

These COLA classes are designed to ease the transition between high school and college but are limited in their capacity to make a difference because they are optional. To improve the experience of every first-year College student, COLA classes should be made into first semester requirements, so that everyone can experience this tremendous opportunity to make friends, interact with their advisors, and, most importantly, to have their voices be heard.

Sawan Patel is a Viewpoint Writer.