Charlottesville police open Corner substation

Added security coming soon through ambassadors program

A new police substation on the Corner opened Thursday in an effort to increase law enforcement presence in the area. The temporary substation, housed in a grey pod building, is located across from the Corner and next to the Women’s Center.

Charlottesville Police Chief Timothy Longo said the substation will provide increased visibility and a greater concentration of resources to help keep the Corner safe.

“The primary objective is to create and sustain a safe environment,” Longo said. “There are no specific issues or problems that we are seeking to impact other than to reduce the likelihood of criminal activity and disorderly behavior that oftentimes results from alcohol consumption and poor judgment.”

In addition to this new safety measure, the University has also increased lighting and the number of emergency phones, and is working to improve the camera system on Grounds.

The substation will not be regularly staffed by police, but will have additional officers from both the University and the Charlottesville police departments stationed on weekend nights, including Thursdays, from 9 p.m. to 3 a.m.

“Staffing levels will be determined by time of day, day of week and special events which may occur from time to time which impact population density,” Longo said.

The substation will eventually move to a permanent location in what was previously the Freeman-Victorius frame shop. This move is expected to take place this summer.

Additionally, the University and the police department are working with G4S, a security company, to set up an ambassadors program in which unarmed, uniformed escorts will walk students home in the dark.

According to their website, G4S offers security services and security technology in a variety of sectors, including airports, hospitals and colleges. The company specializes “in the provision of security products, services and solutions.”

The G4S initiative will be put into place at the beginning of February.