Mihaljevic, 4x400 relay break records at McCravy Meet

<p>Sophomore Filip Mihaljevic placed sixth in the shot put Saturday in Lexington, Kentucky. He broke the Virginia record in that event with a throw of 64 feet and five inches. </p>

Sophomore Filip Mihaljevic placed sixth in the shot put Saturday in Lexington, Kentucky. He broke the Virginia record in that event with a throw of 64 feet and five inches. 

When they arrived in Lexington, Kentucky last Friday, the Cavalier track and field team knew the Rod McCravy Memorial Meet would be a test. Results would speak to the team’s talent level in a pool of high-powered programs. When all was said and done, as spectators filed out of Nutter Field House, coach Bryan Fetzer and company saw a handful of Virginia athletes embrace the challenge and excel in their events.

In his first season of indoor track, sophomore Filip Mihaljevic palmed the heavy shot put, likely knowing he belonged with the All-Conference and All-American throwers. A few seconds later the shot put thudded 64 feet and five inches from where he, the new program record holder, stood. Mihaljevic placed sixth in the event behind threes seniors and a junior.

Sophomore Jordan Young, the shot put record holder for a single week, took first place in the weight throw with a distance of 69 feet and 10-and-a-quarter inches. Senior Payton Hazzard, sophomores Nathan Kiley and David Bartha and freshman Logan Carrington beat the 26-year-old program record in the distance medley relay by three tenths of a second.

Personal bests were set by sophomore Heather Smith in the 60-meter hurdles, sophomore Christine Bohan in the weight throw, senior Sarah DeVita and freshman Katie Freix in the women’s pole vault and redshirt freshman Jeff Jernigan in the men’s pole vault.

The Cavaliers will compete this Friday and Saturday at the John Thomas Terrier Invitational in Boston.