Marvel Mondays: Age of Ultron

A&E reviews the latest Marvel smash hit

In 2012, Marvel’s first installment of “The Avengers” rewrote the book on superhero blockbusters and on modern franchises. Cinematic universes of many interlocking stories all set within the same world have since taken off, with other studios trying to replicate Marvel’s enormous success.

After four standalone movies varying from inconsequential, like “Thor: The Dark World” to surprising — “Guardians of the Galaxy” — Joss Whedon brings Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye back together in the bigger sequel “Avengers: Age of Ultron.” As expected, this time around, Marvel has created a great film that stumbles in some places, resulting in a movie that lies a hair behind its predecessor.

The movie picks up after the events of “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” with the Avengers raiding a secret HYDRA base in hope of recovering Loki’s scepter that appeared in the first Avengers. From there, Tony Stark, with the help of Bruce Banner, uses the power of the scepter to create Ultron, an artificial intelligence that Tony hopes can be a “suit of armor around the world” protecting Earth from future threats. However, a technological glitch of sorts causes Ultron to believe the only way to protect humanity is to destroy it. The battle lines are drawn, as Earth’s mightiest heroes must overcome their own internal conflicts to defeat Ultron and save the world.

The best part of “Age of Ultron” is that it is a blast. With action more evenly distributed than its predecessor and quips galore, the movie moves at a rapid pace from one set piece to another as the Avengers battle Ultron and his robotic army. Particularly excellent is a fight between Iron Man and the Hulk, as well as the finale.

There isn’t much room to fit in moments of character development among the large cast. However, quieter scenes, like a contest to lift Thor’s hammer, serve as highlights. Jeremy Renner’s Hawkeye gets more action this time around, making the character into an everyman among superheroes. Superhumans and evil robots surround him and, with his lack of supernatural powers, he states with a touch of funny self-awareness, “I’ve got a bow and arrow.”

Mark Ruffalo’s Hulk gets a welcome return and creates some great moments with Scarlett Johansson. Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany also shine as newcomers Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch and the Vision. Like its predecessor, intergroup conflict is heavily featured, and this time around, the conflict feels much more grounded and impactful.

Unfortunately, the movie stumbles in places, largely a result of sheer scope. The movie moves a tad too fast and is too crowded with characters and plots, negatively resulting in some moments that don’t land with the impact they should.

The main casualty is the villain Ultron, whose motivations and personality don’t get the necessary room to grow that would have resulted in a truly memorable adversary. This side story fails to sufficiently justify its own existence in the plot nor does it effectively provide exciting foreshadowing of events to come.

A great Marvel movie walks the thin line between providing a thrilling, satisfying single adventure and marking a significant event in the larger Marvel universe that leaves audiences hyped for the next installment. Likewise, the full consequences of the movie’s events seem to have been postponed to future installments, making for somewhat rushed ending.

Despite some half-hearted universe-building and somewhat overstuffed narrative, it can’t be denied that “Avengers: Age of Ultron” presents an exciting time filled with colorful and excellent characters. This film is no exception to Marvel’s consistently fun — but also epic — movies.