​In support of the University’s new insurance policy

Requiring a second check on whether students have health insurance protects student safety

While many of us were away for the summer, the University underwent some changes: Rotunda construction continued, a new class of students prepared to join us, hackers infiltrated our technology systems and we were met with an updated medical insurance policy. This last change — while it may seem to create another layer of red tape for students — was a particularly positive change for current and incoming University students.

Before this year, when students enrolled in the University they filled out an insurance waiver or signed up for University-sponsored insurance before their first-year — and that was the end of any discussion surrounding a student’s health insurance policy for the rest of their time as an undergraduate. Universities should, of course, verify that their students are insured; for students juggling schoolwork, extracurriculars, paid work and various other involvements, access to health care should not be a matter of concern. But, since previously the University only verified students’ insurance policies once — when they entered the University — there is a strong possibility that students used to sign up for insurance when school started and then promptly left their insurance policies to avoid insurance fees.

The new system requires students to update their insurance information partway through their time at the University. If students don’t fill out an insurance waiver, they are automatically enrolled in the University insurance policy — which was already true of our original system. Essentially, the change to the University policy acts as a second check, to make sure students are still covered.

Though some of us may have felt blindsided by this change in our system, its benefits far outweigh any small annoyances we may have with filling out another form. For those of us who are still covered, filling it out is quick; for students covered through University insurance, their policy remains the same; but for students who may not have health insurance, the University is taking a positive step to ensure they will, in fact, be covered.

While universities are first and foremost a place of higher learning, they often take on an in loco parentis role. Our school is starting off the year with a policy that keeps its students safer.