Women’s tennis set to host ITA Kickoff Weekend

Cavaliers top seed of own individual bracket

<p>Danielle Collins and Virginia will&nbsp;host the ITA Kickoff Weekend starting Friday in Charlottesville.</p>

Danielle Collins and Virginia will host the ITA Kickoff Weekend starting Friday in Charlottesville.

The Virginia Women’s Tennis team plays host to the ITA Kickoff Weekend starting Friday in Charlottesville. The tournament, which will be held at the Boar’s Head Sports Club, will feature the Cavaliers as the top seed of their own individual bracket alongside opponents Columbia, Maryland and Brigham Young.

The mini-tournament is part of the larger national ITA Kickoff Weekend, which is hosted in 15 different locations across the nation.

Columbia and Maryland will play in the first match of the tournament Friday morning, which will be followed by Virginia taking on BYU later that afternoon. The winner of each match will face off in a finals match on Saturday, while the losers compete in a consolation match the same day.

The seventh-ranked Cavaliers are coming off of a slim victory over Boston College last Sunday in their first match of the 2016 calendar year, in which the team was dependent on strong singles play to pull off a 4-3 victory. Virginia will look to improve their performance on the doubles side against this weekend’s set of opponents, none of which rank in the top-50 nationally, as the team dropped two of its three doubles matchups against Boston College.

The match against BYU will take place at 1:30 p.m. on Friday, while the finals match is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. on Saturday.