Carly Rae Jepsen releases “Emotion: Side B”

“Call Me Maybe” star proves even her B-sides can be hits

<p>"Emotion: Side B" is a collection of tracks Jepsen wrote when recording "Emotion" but did not release at the time.</p>

"Emotion: Side B" is a collection of tracks Jepsen wrote when recording "Emotion" but did not release at the time.

Bewilderingly, Carly Rae Jepsen wrote one of the best pop albums of 2015 with “Emotion.” Although her 2011 hit “Call Me Maybe” was a fine pop song and deservedly went viral, it did not indicate a serious star in the making. “Emotion,” on the other hand, blew away those who bothered to listen. Borrowing heavily from ’80s pop music, “Emotion” perfected the pop formula, delivering killer track after killer track for 54 minutes. According to an April interview with Radio.com, Jepsen reportedly wrote 250 songs in the process, eight of which are now available in the album “Emotion: Side B.”

It’s understandable why these songs were B-sides to begin with. None have quite the impact, attention to detail or lasting power of tracks like “Run Away With Me,” “Boy Problems” or “Let’s Get Lost.” The songs feel a little simpler, and the instrumentation is less detailed. The hooks remain strong, however, and the music retains its liveliness and fun. Right off the bat, “First Time” establishes the consistently high quality of Jepsen’s songwriting. The track’s powerful 80s synths could make statues groove, and the chorus will make shower-singers out of even the quietest listeners.

The upbeat mood continues throughout the record. Tracks like “Higher” and “Fever” ebb in and out of big choruses with ease, while “Body Language” provides a three-minute unadulterated endorphin rush. None of the tracks slow down to the degree of “All That” from “Emotion,” but “Cry” and “Roses” show Jepsen’s darker side and provide variety. “Cry” in particular sounds like a Meg Myers track, catchy yet born from the sinister underbelly of pop music.

Jepsen’s lyrics stay firmly rooted in young love. Falling in, falling out, flirting at parties — all the typical tropes are present, but Jepsen’s youthful energy makes every moment feel genuine. Jepsen’s charisma prevents playful and juvenile moments from feeling puerile. “Store” shows she can sing, “I’m just going to the store, to the store,” and make it a blast.

The quality of this new release proves “Emotion” was no fluke. Jepsen’s B-sides are consistently better than the best of many Top 40 artists, so it’s a shame history will remember her as a one-hit wonder. “Emotion: Side B” presents the leftovers from Jepsen’s last album, and they are delicious. The next album — the entrée — should be even better.