“Ruminations” provides deep look into Conor Oberst’s mind

Singer’s new album provides much needed release

<p>Conor Oberst sings of his troubles on his latest album&nbsp;"Ruminations."</p>

Conor Oberst sings of his troubles on his latest album "Ruminations."

Conor Oberst has had a rough few years. Since his last release in 2014, the soft-spoken singer has weathered the storm of a false rape accusation and the diagnosis of a cyst in his brain. “Ruminations,” Oberst’s latest release, provides the former Bright Eyes frontman a chance to vent the anguish laid upon his psyche, and gives listeners a look into his tormented recent history.

Normally known for his lush and soulful sound, Oberst has stripped each song down to the roots on “Ruminations.” Each song features little more than a Bob Dylan-esque backdrop of piano or harmonica, leaving plenty of room for Oberst’s haunting vocals. The open, airy tone creates intimacy, and at times it feels as though the listener is sharing a therapy session with Oberst, commiserating as the singer lets loose his inner demons. The instrumentation intentionally sits back and highlights Oberst’s impactful lyrics.

To “ruminate” means to reflect back on the causes and consequences of one’s experiences in life — the title proves very fitting for this album. Oberst presents some of the most raw and honest lyrics he has ever written, brutally showing the effects anxiety and depression have had on him. The album begins with the song “Tachycardia,” a reflection of the stress caused by sitting in court day after day for a crime he didn’t commit.

The album also struggles with human futility and the impermanence of life, a reflection of Oberst’s recent health concerns. This questioning of human existence and its purpose is brought in an almost harsh manner, as if these thoughts have made up a large part of the countless sleepless nights Oberst has endured. The song “Counting Sheep” displays these thoughts clearly, as Oberst describes life and death as a monotonous task one has to endure.

Every song on the album carries with it some of the baggage of Oberst’s recent struggles. The isolation and hopelessness Oberst feels is displayed with a honesty which can almost be uncomfortable to hear.

“Ruminations” takes listeners on the dark journey Oberst has gone through and is now overcoming. The singer’s honesty is brash but gives him the release he has so desperately needed, while simultaneously serving as an opportunity for the singer to connect with those enduring the same mental and physical tortures he has.