​Women’s lacrosse edges out Richmond 15-14 in final seconds

<p>Freshman midfielder Sammy Mueller helped lead Virginia to a close win against Richmond with her team-leading six goals.&nbsp;</p>

Freshman midfielder Sammy Mueller helped lead Virginia to a close win against Richmond with her team-leading six goals. 

The Virginia women’s lacrosse team — which needed a win after a close loss to to Elon — found success thanks to the shooting of freshman midfielder Sammy Mueller in its 15-14 win against Richmond. Mueller — who was Virginia’s top scorer for the match — tallied six goals, with two clutch goals in the last minutes of the game.

Although the Spiders were up by one goal at the half, the Cavaliers were playing incredibly aggressively throughout the first frame. Richmond — which only had nine shots on goal in the first half — was unable to create any offensive momentum. However, they did succeed in slowing the relentless Virginia offense. Richmond’s keeper, freshman Megan Gianforte, played a large part in that effort with a notable 16 saves.

The Cavaliers — while aggressive — struggled to score against a solid Spider defense. Virginia captured an early lead after a goal scored by junior Lilly DiNardo but trailed Richmond until the final seconds of the game.

Richmond was able to capitalize on the few shots they had on goal with some big scores. Senior Natalia Chaney was Richmond’s top scorer, totaling four goals.

Although the Cavaliers struggled offensively overall, senior Kelly Reese had a big night — pulling off an impressive hat trick. Senior attacker Besser Dyson was another key player for the Cavaliers with four key assists.

Virginia will be back in action Saturday, as they face off against No.12 Princeton at 1 p.m. in Charlottesville.